• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical Records and Privacy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wmedi

What is the name of your state? Florida

I have recently had challenges in clarifying my medical records and more specifically, the doctor's notes. My question is two-fold:

1) Are doctors required to send personal notes and conversation notes about conditions to insurance companies when someone is applying for coverage?

2) If there are inaccuracies in the medical records (ie doctor misunderstood the presentation of past history and lists items inaccurately in the notes), can these records be altered?

Any help with either of these items would be greatly appreciated.

wmedi

Beth3

1) Are doctors required to send personal notes and conversation notes about conditions to insurance companies when someone is applying for coverage? Required to? No. Whether they will depends upon what type of coverage you've applied for and whether you signed a release that would enable the insurance carrier's underwriting department to request and obtain that information.

2) If there are inaccuracies in the medical records (ie doctor misunderstood the presentation of past history and lists items inaccurately in the notes), can these records be altered? The doctor can undoubtedly amend the information if he or she feels it is appropriate to do so if new information from the patient comes to light.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">