• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Misleading Doctor and Insurance led to collections.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chai1836

What is the name of your state? KS

I received chiropractic care about 1 year ago. Part of this care was a physical by a physician whose office was within the chiropractors office. This is a one floor, free standing building for a facility with several chiropractors and, I believe, two physicians. I received a bill from the chiropractor stating that I owed $973.33. upon receiving I called my insurance company and asked them about the charge. They stated that I did not owe any money because the doctor's office failed to send an "ACN" number but once they sent it the insurance company would pay the claim. The insurance company told me not to worry about it and that they would send a letter to the doctor's office explaining the issue and as the doctors office to stop billing me. Some time goes by and the doctors office has now sent me to collections because of the unpaid medical bills. It appears as though the physician (that is in their office) was not in my network, so the bill appear as patient responsibility. There are two problems with this. I asked the chiropractor UP FRONT if all of these services were covered by my insurance. I had to take X-rays and an MRI...not to mention the chiropractic care. At this tim my wife and I were planning a wedding and just bought a house so we had no money and I made sure to ask about the insurance so that I would not have any out of pocket cost (other than copay). I have 6 different amounts billed to me by the physician but I only met with him ONE time, how is this possible?

Things to note:
1. I asked to find out if my insurance covered everything and was told yes.
2. I did not have a choice which physician I went to, I saw the physician under the employ of the chiropractor.
3. The insurance company told me that I did not owe any more money so I did not pay, now I am in collections
4. I have six seperate billing statements from a physician that I only saw once.
5. Physician is billing under his name but the chiropractors Tax ID number.

What are my options here, I am getting the run around from all directions. If I knew up-front that I owed the money, I would have paid it off. I would never have let it go to collections. Now, I think that I am entitled to something for my troubles, am I correct? IS this worth pursuing with an attorney?

TIA, Jordan

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">