• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Move from Service Area, Insurance Terminated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rkh

What is the name of your state? Ohio.
Seven years ago I left my employer in order to start a home business. I continued my HMO coverage under COBRA and then through an Individual Conversion Plan. I have moved from the HMO service area. For this reason, the HMO has terminated my coverage effective 12/31/04. I have preexisting conditions (hypertension, type II diabetes, depression) for which I am taking medication. What are my options for continuing coverage under an HMO or (preferably) a Preferred Provider Plan? Does HIPPA cover this circumstance?

Beth3

The only thing HIPAA has to do with this is that if you obtain a "certificate of credible coverage" from your prior insurance carrier and enroll in new coverage within 63 days, the new insurer cannnot impose any pre-existing conditions limitations.

As to the rest, it's your job to find a new health insurance plan in your new area. I suggest you contact a local insurance agent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">