• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving: Need to take health coverage with us

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CamilleDu

What is the name of your state? IN -- moving to AR

My husband is employed by a company that does not offer health insurance and is headquartered in a different state (GA). I am a free lancer, so I don't have access to health insurance either.

When my husband took this new job in 2001, we had to purchase our own individual (family) policy where we live (IN) and I filled out the entire Blue Cross Blue Shield application honestly - going back 5 years and recording EVERY doctor visit, medication for all four of us. Every little thing.

I also included information about my history of migraines and a 1999 auto accident where I hurt my neck and suffered a bulging disk. In doing this, the Indiana insurance company said that my family could be put on an individual plan, but I would have to purchase a separate plan -- in the Indiana "High Risk Pool" - a very costly plan with a huge deductible. But all these plans are administered by the same company - Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield.

I pleaded with my agent and told him that I had not taken any medication for any of these items for over a year -- they were all old injuries. He told me that if I could go another 2 years without any treatment, then I could reapply for the standard insurance and might be put on the same policy with my family.

So that's what I did. I didn't go to a doctor for 2 years other than physicals and check ups which deemed me healthy every time. ---- except for ONE instance when I went to a dermatologist for some acne medication.

Guess what? When I reapplied - they said the "acne meds" would prevent me from getting on a standard rate! Ugh!!!. I pleaded and pleaded with them, and sent appeals -- and finally, they did put me on with my family, - but with a slightly higher premium rate for my portion. But getting on the same plan with the benefit of one single "family deductible" is really all I wanted.

But during those two years, my 10 year old son was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease (Graves disease). I thank the stars above that we got him on this plan BEFORE this diagnosis.

BUT -- now we want to move --- but I am terrified about what is going to happen with our health insurance.

Arkansas does have Blue Cross Blue Shield, but when we called our local Indiana agent, they said we'd have to REAPPLY all over again if we want to transfer coverage to Arkansas.

I know that my sons Graves Disease would prevent him from gettnig on any decent affordable plan if we had to start all over, so does this mean we can't move -- are we stuck here in Indiana?????

What can we do?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">