• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Multiple Co-Pay Charges for a single visit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kmass

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

What are the provisions for a doctor charging the insurance company multiple co-pays for one visit? I'm not sure if this qualifies as fraud or not...

At a recent visit to an Urgent Care Clinic, I noticed my co-pay amount was for three visits, I asked about it and was told that because there were multiple diagnosis, the clinic needed to charge for multiple co-pays. Does this seem right? It is my understanding; one visit; one charge. Not, one visit and if we diagnose 3 separate issues then we will bill the insurance company for three visits.

ajkroy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

What are the provisions for a doctor charging the insurance company multiple co-pays for one visit? I'm not sure if this qualifies as fraud or not...

At a recent visit to an Urgent Care Clinic, I noticed my co-pay amount was for three visits, I asked about it and was told that because there were multiple diagnosis, the clinic needed to charge for multiple co-pays. Does this seem right? It is my understanding; one visit; one charge. Not, one visit and if we diagnose 3 separate issues then we will bill the insurance company for three visits.
You are correct. The copay is actually tied to the E&M code (Evaluation and Management), the level of which is determined by the complexity of the presenting issue/s. If your copay is a flat fee per visit, then you only pay that once for that visit. The office can be reimbursed for a higher-level of visit (which means more money from the insurance company) if they have the proper documentation. If a procedure was performed for one of the other diagnoses, they can use modifiers and bill that, too. Still only one copay, though. An office cannot charge a different E&M code for each dianosis; they can increase the level of the code instead.

For example, let's say I go to the doctor because of a cough. While examining me, he sees a suspicious lesion on my back and offers to take it off right there in the exam room. The office can bill an E&M code for the office visit AND a surgery code for the lesion. But because the copay is only tied to the E&M code, only one copay is required.

This advice differs if your copay is a percentage of the bill and also depends on whether the clinic was in network and part of your plan.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">