• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

no insurance - treatment and payment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jeabail

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Texas
We are seriously concidering dropping our health insurance because of the high cost. I am trying to find out answers to worst case scenario's. For example - Does a hospital have to admit me and treat me in case of an injury or heart attack? What if one of us gets cancer and needs chemotherapy? Also, I've been told that if we did incur a huge medical bill and we made a good faith effort to pay monthly, that the hospital could take no action against us.

purple2

Hospitals are required to stabilize you in an emergency situation. Public hospitals often treat patients seeking care for non-emergency situations as well.

Neither of those things mean that you aren't obligated to pay. You are always responsible for your medical bills.

The comment about making a good faith effort to pay is a myth. Hospitals, like anyone you owe money to, can take action against you if you don't pay or you don't comply with payment terms agreed upon.

Check with your state's department of social services to find out if they offer any sort of family plan at a reasonable cost.

Consider the significant financial risk you're taking for not having insurance. Health care costs are monstrous. Even making payments on a large bill could seriously hurt you financially.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">