• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-paid surrogate w/medicaid considered fraud?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lhyde2007

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee
I have medicaid, and I am intending to carry a child for a friend of mine without pay. I need to know if medicaid pays my medical expenses during my pregnancy, and the delivery, is that considered fraud on my behalf. I will not be getting compensated for carrying this baby.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

CSO286

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee
I have medicaid, and I am intending to carry a child for a friend of mine without pay. I need to know if medicaid pays my medical expenses during my pregnancy, and the delivery, is that considered fraud on my behalf. I will not be getting compensated for carrying this baby.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
How are you intending to become pregnant? (Serious question.)
Medicaid does not cover fertility treatments/in vitro/etc. If this is going to be some sort of adoption, then the adopting couple should be in a postion to cover the necesary medical costs of prenatal care/birth.

If you are a recipient of public assistance (Medicaid), and you carry a child the state is going to want to recoup the monies it has expended on your bahalf (including medical costs.) They do this by working to establish a legal father for the child and then obtaining a judment against that person for a portion of meidcal costs (usually as part of a child support action).

More inforamtion is needed, but as you've stated it so far, it does smack loudly of fraud.

lhyde2007

I would become pregnant as a result of IVF. It would be an embryo consiting of an egg from an egg donor, and the sperm from the intended potential father. The potential parents will be paying for all fertility procedures.

Isis1

I would become pregnant as a result of IVF. It would be an embryo consiting of an egg from an egg donor, and the sperm from the intended potential father. The potential parents will be paying for all fertility procedures.
Um, they should be paying for ALL the medical cosrs.

lhyde2007

Um, I wasn't asking what SHOULD happen. I was just asking if Medicaid paying for my pregnancy related doctor visits in this particular situation would be considered fraud. Thank you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">