• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please Help...newborn grandchild coverage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rightmyer2010

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky
My daughter( single, full-time college student) is covered on my BlueCross BlueShield policy. Her pregnacy was covered BUT THE BABY IS NOT COVERED. My daughter is 100% dependent on me financially and is carried as my dependent on income taxes.....her newborn will /is 100% financially dependent upon me also. I am not the guardian of child.. I will be claiming this child as a dependant on income taxes along with childs mother(my daughter).
??? Can infant be covered by my insurance? IF NOT.....can a policy be writter that only covers the infant? I am in Kentucky.
Any advice would be appreciated.
grandpaWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky
My daughter( single, full-time college student) is covered on my BlueCross BlueShield policy. Her pregnacy was covered BUT THE BABY IS NOT COVERED. My daughter is 100% dependent on me financially and is carried as my dependent on income taxes.....her newborn will /is 100% financially dependent upon me also. I am not the guardian of child.. I will be claiming this child as a dependant on income taxes along with childs mother(my daughter).
??? Can infant be covered by my insurance? IF NOT.....can a policy be writter that only covers the infant? I am in Kentucky.
Any advice would be appreciated.
grandpaWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
There may be ways...

But I have to ask...why are YOU footing the bill for this adult woman?

rightmyer2010

I am footing the bill because she is a 4.0 student that has been accepted into medical school for Fall 2010. My question : the grandchild will be claimed as my dependent on income taxes but I am not the legal guardian......can infant be added to my policy without me having legal guardianship.

Zigner

I am footing the bill because she is a 4.0 student that has been accepted into medical school for Fall 2010. My question : the grandchild will be claimed as my dependent on income taxes but I am not the legal guardian......can infant be added to my policy without me having legal guardianship.
This is a question for the healthplan administrator. You may wish to seek legal guardianship...or your daughter can look for public assistance for HER child.

Where is the father?

ETA: I still am shaking my head at the fact that your 4.0 student seems to think it's fine to get pregnant with the expectation that others will pay for HER child.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Whether you can add the child to your policy is between you and your insurance carrier - their rules.

MOM could have the child added to state run insurance, or MOM can purchase health insurance from a local insurance agent.

ecmst12

This is not a good reason for mom to give you guardianship. Mom can get medicaid/CHIP for the baby easily, if the rules for your insurance policy do not allow you to cover the baby. You need to ask exactly what the definition of an eligible dependent is under your plan. And if the child is already born, move quickly because if the baby IS eligible, you only have 30 days from the DOB to add him/her.

It is too soon for you to know whether you will be able to claim the baby on your taxes for 2010....a lot can happen between now and december.

rightmyer2010

Thank you and********************************************************

Thank you to everyone for replying so quickly. I will have my daughter immediately check with state about CHIP.
To ecmst12 quote "This is not a good reason for mom to give you guardianship. " I agree wholeheartedly. Thanks again.

to Zigner regarding your comment : ETA: I still am shaking my head at the fact that your 4.0 student seems to think it's fine to get pregnant with the expectation that others will pay for HER child. One should always be very cautious making assumptions. A perfect example is the assumption you made. 1.) she did not think it was 'fine' to get get pregnant. 2.) she does not expect OTHERS to pay for her child. I am confident that she could support her child without help from me or anyone but I CHOOSE to be as supportive as possible to my child while she is continuing her education. She did not plan to become pregnant and I see no reason to make this more difficult than it already is on her. BTW I posted to this board seeking knowledge on health insurance coverage for grandchild. If I was seeking opinions and advice concerning parenting I would have posted on Parents.com forums.

Zigner

Let's see...kiddo goes out and gets pregnant. She had MANY choices...but hey, the parentals are paying for everything, so why not, right? :rolleyes:

Your child has you so wrapped around her finger...and you don't even see it. Oh well. Enjoy.

PS: If your daughter was the victim of rape, than I will sincerely apologize...but I'm sure you would have said that earlier.

Thank you to everyone for replying so quickly. I will have my daughter immediately check with state about CHIP.
To ecmst12 quote "This is not a good reason for mom to give you guardianship. " I agree wholeheartedly. Thanks again.

to Zigner regarding your comment : ETA: I still am shaking my head at the fact that your 4.0 student seems to think it's fine to get pregnant with the expectation that others will pay for HER child. One should always be very cautious making assumptions. A perfect example is the assumption you made. 1.) she did not think it was 'fine' to get get pregnant. 2.) she does not expect OTHERS to pay for her child. I am confident that she could support her child without help from me or anyone but I CHOOSE to be as supportive as possible to my child while she is continuing her education. She did not plan to become pregnant and I see no reason to make this more difficult than it already is on her. BTW I posted to this board seeking knowledge on health insurance coverage for grandchild. If I was seeking opinions and advice concerning parenting I would have posted on Parents.com forums.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Your insurance plan document will say whether or not you can include your grandson on your plan. It is not a question of whether you are claiming him as a dependent on your taxes unless the plan document says it is. If the plan document says that any dependent you can claim on your taxes is an eligible dependent, then you can. If the plan document says that the child of your dependent college student is eligible, then you can. If the plan document does NOT provide for one of those two options, or provides another option that would include him, then you can't. Normally grandchildren are not covered. If YOUR plan has a provision that includes him, then you can cover him. If it doesn't, you can't.

It's that simple. Really.

ecmst12

I hardly think throwing daughter out on her butt for getting pregnant is the wisest course of action...supporting them while she finishes school will make her better able to support herself and her family in the long run. If mom has the means, why shouldn't she support daughter and grandbaby for a little while? Think you're being a little silly Zig.

Zigner

I hardly think throwing daughter out on her butt for getting pregnant is the wisest course of action...supporting them while she finishes school will make her better able to support herself and her family in the long run. If mom has the means, why shouldn't she support daughter and grandbaby for a little while? Think you're being a little silly Zig.
The POINT is that the daughter of the OP was being supported 100% by her parents when she decided to get pregnant. Why shouldn't the MOTHER of the new baby GET A JOB?

ETA: But, I agree that this really has nothing to do with the original question, so I will stop that line...

I still would like to know where the FATHER of the baby is.

ecmst12

I was wondering that as well. Daughter should be asking for child support for the baby, and he may have insurance that he can add the baby to as well.

Maybe the daughter DOES have a part time job. Even if she doesn't, it makes NO sense for daughter to quit school and work some minimum wage job to barely scrape by, when her family is willing and able to help her and her child so she can get a better job later. Better job later means that she'll be able to afford better care for her mom someday if she ever needs a nursing home or live-in help....what goes around comes around :)

Zigner

Maybe the daughter DOES have a part time job. Even if she doesn't, it makes NO sense for daughter to quit school and work some minimum wage job to barely scrape by, when her family is willing and able to help her and her child so she can get a better job later. Better job later means that she'll be able to afford better care for her mom someday if she ever needs a nursing home or live-in help....what goes around comes around :)
Fair enough :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">