• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pregnant without insurance in NJ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DLGM

What is the name of your state? NJ
My wife is pregnant with our third child. The previous two have been delivered by C-section. At this time we do not have insurance. It too late to qualify for COBRA now through my previous job. We have done an extensive search for insurance to cover the expected cost. I cannot find any company who will take her now to help with the expenses. They will take her and cover her for un-related items and complications from the pregnancy, though. If this pregnancy is like the last one I know it will be atleast $30,000 (+). Any advice? Thank you.

Last edited:

itslate

With my first pregnancy I only had accident insurance. They covered the cost of the delivery because it was a C section. Just wondering if a C section would be listed under complications of pregnancy in your case. Have you asked?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

DLGM said:
What is the name of your state? NJ
My wife is pregnant with our third child. The previous two have been delivered by C-section. At this time we do not have insurance. It too late to qualify for COBRA now through my previous job. We have done an extensive search for insurance to cover the expected cost. I cannot find any company who will take her now to help with the expenses. They will take her and cover her for un-related items and complications from the pregnancy, though. If this pregnancy is like the last one I know it will be atleast $30,000 (+). Any advice? Thank you.

My response:

Ever tried to buy car insurance after an accident? I wonder if the insurance company would fix your car? "Sure, just pay your $200.00 premium, and we'll be glad to fork over $4,000 to fix your car."

Ain't gonna happen, pal.

You boinked her, you get to pay.

IAAL

purple2

Hospitals that receive federal dollars (most do) are required by law to treat any woman who presents in active labor. However, that does not mean they are required to do it for free.

Pre-natal care is another story entirely; it is not an emergency, so no one is obligated to treat her. You may be able to locate a clinic that would take you on a sliding scale basis. Check with your local health dept.

As far as the hospital bill goes, once your wife selects a hospital, you could try calling the billing office or financial counselor there to see if they can refer you to a bank that offers low-cost loans. You can also work with the hospital to work out payment plans and perhaps qualify for a discount on your bill.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">