• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question on Spousal surcharge for Medical insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ajmal1330

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hi There,
Last year when I did for the annual enrollment for Medical insurance along with other benefits. I mistakenly selected yes for "Spousal Surcharge", thinking that it if for covering my wife, but this year I realized that I have to choose that only if my spouse works somewhere and getting coverage there too, so I changed it to a "No" as it should be, which and now I am clear on what that option is.

My question now is - Is there a way I can ask for a refund for what I paid by mistake which I shouldn't have, as my wife was/is not working and didn't have any additional coverage?

Thanks,
Ajmal

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You can ASK. Contact your Benefits or HR office and discuss it with them.

However, be aware that there are legal limits to when they can make such corrections or refunds and now that we are well into a new plan year, you are most likely beyond that limit.

Unless your plan year runs July 1 to June 30th? If that is the case, then it needs to be the first thing you do Monday morning if you are to have ANY hope of it (and it's not guaranteed even if it is and you do). But if your plan year is calendar year, it's almost not worth wasting your time on.

ajmal1330

You can ASK. Contact your Benefits or HR office and discuss it with them.

However, be aware that there are legal limits to when they can make such corrections or refunds and now that we are well into a new plan year, you are most likely beyond that limit.

Unless your plan year runs July 1 to June 30th? If that is the case, then it needs to be the first thing you do Monday morning if you are to have ANY hope of it (and it's not guaranteed even if it is and you do). But if your plan year is calendar year, it's almost not worth wasting your time on.
Thanks for the suggestion, I do not have much hopes of getting it back, but will definitely give it a try tomorrow.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">