• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Received claim check instead of doctor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jojo28

What is the name of your state?Ohio

I received payment for a claim in the amount of $1500 instead of the physician. Legally, besides the bill eventually going into collections is there anything that can happen if I cash the check and keep the money?

Shay-Pari'e

jojo28 said:
What is the name of your state?Ohio

I received payment for a claim in the amount of $1500 instead of the physician. Legally, besides the bill eventually going into collections is there anything that can happen if I cash the check and keep the money?
They did not send it to you by mistake. You apparently do not know how some insurance companies work......Some send YOU the payment, and then YOU take the payment to the person owed the money.

Delta Dental for one is something my family carries and they send us the check.

Of course it will go into collections, and you may lose your coverage if you do not do the RIGHT thing and pay the doctor.

Legally the doctor will sue you. Funny how that works huh?

Legally the insurance company can drop you.

Are you that hard up for a penny?

Beth3

Eventually, the doctor or collection agency will sue you and either (a) obtain a garnishment against your wages if you are working, or (b) get a lien against you.

I suggest you pay the doctor with the check.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">