• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

refuse newborn coverage?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hispdmommy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

My daughter was born 9 weeks early and when we added her to our insurance (well within our 31 days) they told us that she would have to go through underwriting before they could accept her. Well as a registered nurse, I was pretty sure that she wouldn't make it through underwriting as she was pretty sick and had many weeks left in the NICU. We asked if there was any way that we could avoid putting her through underwriting since it was doubtful she would make it, and they told us that if we upgraded from "individual+spouse" to the "family plan" that she would just be added. It took our premiums from around $350/mo to over $600 (now $750 after 2 rate increases in 3 years), but we felt we had no choice (knowing we would never be able to pay for 2 months of NICU care without insurance). Recently I heard that it is against the law for insurance companies to deny a newborn. Is this true? Did we elevate our premiums for no reason? We have tried twice to re-negotiate our plan, but they won't let us return to a more reasonable rate without all of us going through underwriting again. My husband had thyroid cancer the same year our daughter was born and so he never makes it through underwriting! Our policy is privately paid for not associated with an employer for what it's worth. I'm trying to find out if they mis-informed us in order to double our monthly premiums? If they lied about their ability to deny coverage to our newborn I might be able to return to our original plan and lower our monthly costs. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

ecmst12

If it's not an employer sponsored group plan, they can deny anyone who doesn't meet underwriting guidelines. Even a newborn. The increase in your premiums is WAY WAY LESS then the medical bills she accrued in NICU.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">