• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

starting cobra

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

billyhappy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

lost job 8/11 still waiting for cobra information, my insurance is now stopped once I get cobra information and apply/register is it retroactive to date of insurance being terminated

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Absolutely.

Your insurance does not necessarily end on the last day of employment; sometimes it's the last day of the month in which your employment ends. But either way, your employer is still WELL within the limit to submit your COBRA information - they have a combined 44 days to notify your administrator and the administrator to notify you.

But the coverage IS retro to the last day of coverage, so any medical care you need in the interim will ultimately be covered, even if you have to pay up front and be reimbursed later.

billyhappy

so my former employer is also the plan administrator for the health ins so how does the 44 day notice work in this situation is it just 14 days

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">