• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it state law in North Carolina that you have to carry health insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

skydancers1

What is the name of your state? North Carolina :confused:

I just moved here and was told by my employer that it is state law that you have to carry some form of health insurance.

I would like to know if this is true or if they are just blowing smoke.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
To the best of my knowledge, it is not state law in any state that every individual living there must carry some form of health insurance regardless. Nor do I believe that would be possible to enforce without major changes to the law.

It is not impossible that there is a state law to the effect that they may not exempt you from participating in their company health insurance plan unless you can prove you already have health insurance elsewhere. I don't know for certain if NC has such a law or not, but you can ask the state insurance commission.

It is also possible that while it is not state law, it is company policy that you must provide proof of other coverage before they will exempt you from participating in the company insurance plan, and it is legal for them to have such a policy. The person you spoke with may even believe it is state law; a great many people confuse certain company policies with the law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">