• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Texas Medicaid--case regarding father paying it back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

2020dallasrouge

TEXAS
I am a single mother living in Texas and my child is provided with childrens medicaid. I approximate 2yrs under this coverage for her. I was notified less than 48 hours ago that the father's job was contacted to confirm his employment status and to verify if he has insurance of his own. He does not. The father and I have a documented written and verbal agreement stating he gives 'X' amount of money to me per month. I still qualified for my child to have medicaid. According to the Attorney Generals office, a case has been presented concerning the father being responsible to pay the state back for services rendered through medicaid. I answered all questions truthfully in order to obtain medicaid to begin with. I am not concerned about this resulting in fraud, however I am confused as to why Medicaid is attempting to "bill" the father? We do not live together and court ordered child support was never discussed. Can you please shed some light on this issue? I have contacted the Health and Human Services Dept as well about this but unfortunately I am continuously being referred back and forth between the AG and HHS with no resolution.
Thank you kindly for your time.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
TEXAS
I am a single mother living in Texas and my child is provided with childrens medicaid. I approximate 2yrs under this coverage for her. I was notified less than 48 hours ago that the father's job was contacted to confirm his employment status and to verify if he has insurance of his own. He does not. The father and I have a documented written and verbal agreement stating he gives 'X' amount of money to me per month. I still qualified for my child to have medicaid. According to the Attorney Generals office, a case has been presented concerning the father being responsible to pay the state back for services rendered through medicaid. I answered all questions truthfully in order to obtain medicaid to begin with. I am not concerned about this resulting in fraud, however I am confused as to why Medicaid is attempting to "bill" the father? We do not live together and court ordered child support was never discussed. Can you please shed some light on this issue? I have contacted the Health and Human Services Dept as well about this but unfortunately I am continuously being referred back and forth between the AG and HHS with no resolution.
Thank you kindly for your time.
The government can, will, and (in my opinion) should go after dad for repayment.

2020dallasrouge

Texas Law

The government can, will, and (in my opinion) should go after dad for repayment.
Thank you for your quick reply. I am under the impression this was answered in regards to knowledge of state laws? I appreciate your stated opinion as "should" but I am more concerned with the facts as I am very new to this. If I had known this would've happened, I would've pursued an alt way of providing ins for my daughter. And can you tell me why this issue has come to light now after 2yrs? I am currently using online references as well to understand clearly but unfortunately I do not have the appropriate time to invest.
Thank you.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thank you for your quick reply. I am under the impression this was answered in regards to knowledge of state laws? And can you tell me why this issue has come to light now after 2yrs? I am currently using online references as well to understand clearly but unfortunately I do not have the appropriate time to invest.
Thank you.
I guess they caught up with him.

2020dallasrouge

Thank You

I guess they caught up with him.
Well this is quite unfortunate. Had I been aware he would be penalized then I most definitely would've pursued an alternate route regarding my daughters insurance. I guess I should've read the extremely fine print. Dang.

ajkroy

Let me see if if I can explain it for you: Medicaid is paid for by taxpayers. It is there when there are no other options. If a parent or parents are able to pay for health insurance, then it should not come out of the taxpayer's money. If not, then the very least a parent can do is pay the state back for the services they have used.

If you are receiving less-than-guideline support and cannot afford health insurance for your child, then the taxpayers are effectively making up the difference. It sounds like you would be able to pay for health insurance if you were to receive guideline support; maybe that should be your next step.

commentator

Yes, as long as you stayed away from state sponsored needs based assistance, you could receive any or no amount of support that would be acceptable to you and him, without the intervention of the courts. But if you become a recipient, the small print on that application cleared the state to recoup the money from those who they decide should be providing for the child instead of the state. When this way of doing things came into being, that you now have to declare the other parent and the state comes after them if the child is not being adequately supported (without your approval or disapproval of what they are doing,) it completely changed the whole dynamic of "welfare." If there's a child out there who can't afford medical coverage without state assistance, the state wants to make sure that both the child's parents are doing their part before they put the responsibility on their funds. Does your husband, for example, have access to insurance he could carry the child on through his work? If so, why should he not do this?

commentator

Sorry, I meant to say if the child's other parent, not your husband, has insurance, the state might think he should carry the child on his insurance.

jam071417

Update?

I'd love to know what ultimately happens in this case. My childrens father and I split custody and no child support. However, he is ordered to maintain health insurance and has never done so. I was researching if the state can go back and sue him for the last 7+ years of Medicaid since I have had to keep them on it. He is a royal pain lately and I really hope they do. Was looking for a successful story of this happening...

quincy

I'd love to know what ultimately happens in this case. My childrens father and I split custody and no child support. However, he is ordered to maintain health insurance and has never done so. I was researching if the state can go back and sue him for the last 7+ years of Medicaid since I have had to keep them on it. He is a royal pain lately and I really hope they do. Was looking for a successful story of this happening...
If the original poster wants to provide an update, the poster can return to their own thread to post it.

But on this forum, it is frowned upon for anyone but the original poster to revive an older thread to add questions or comments. The old threads are in the archives for reading and reference purposes.

If you have a legal question or legal concern of your own, jam, you will need to start your own thread.

Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">