• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Two bills for single ER visit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sdwinder

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

California

Back in may of 2010 I hit my head, the next day i had some headaches and my head just felt weird, i felt pressure and I decided to go to the ER that night just in case.

Long story short, they checked my temp, put that thing on my finger that checks pulse or something and then the doctor came to me, checked out my neck and the back of my head and said nothing was wrong and that I may just have a slight consussion. I have a 1500 Dollar deductible, I paid my 100 dollar copay and then I got a bill from the hospital for about 900+ dollars because my insurance only covers the bill if i get admited. I was extremely angry about this, but I have since made my peace with it, ive been paying it off about 50 dollars per month, no problem. Today...7 months after the fact, I get another bill for about 500+ dollars from some medical association. I call my insurance company and take a look at the recent activity and its listed as being charged this month on the 6th.

I have looked this up and found out that apparently I was charged again by somebody else there, it could have been the doctor, it could have been someone else, I dont know. I went through another guy who did the temperature and pulse thing. First of all, it was never disclosed to me that I would be getting charged by 2 different entities, as far as I know, i went to the emergency room, i did not go to a doctor, i did not ask for a specific doctor and I have no idea how much each doctor decides to charge, it is not up to me. What I want to know is what my options are or if this is just a scam. As far as im concerned, at this moment, this is a scam, I tried looking up the company, I could not find it, i never signed anything saying i would pay the doctor and basically as far as im concerned this could be just some random guy who got my information and is now asking for money.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

California

Back in may of 2010 I hit my head, the next day i had some headaches and my head just felt weird, i felt pressure and I decided to go to the ER that night just in case.

Long story short, they checked my temp, put that thing on my finger that checks pulse or something and then the doctor came to me, checked out my neck and the back of my head and said nothing was wrong and that I may just have a slight consussion. I have a 1500 Dollar deductible, I paid my 100 dollar copay and then I got a bill from the hospital for about 900+ dollars because my insurance only covers the bill if i get admited. I was extremely angry about this, but I have since made my peace with it, ive been paying it off about 50 dollars per month, no problem. Today...7 months after the fact, I get another bill for about 500+ dollars from some medical association. I call my insurance company and take a look at the recent activity and its listed as being charged this month on the 6th.

I have looked this up and found out that apparently I was charged again by somebody else there, it could have been the doctor, it could have been someone else, I dont know. I went through another guy who did the temperature and pulse thing. First of all, it was never disclosed to me that I would be getting charged by 2 different entities, as far as I know, i went to the emergency room, i did not go to a doctor, i did not ask for a specific doctor and I have no idea how much each doctor decides to charge, it is not up to me. What I want to know is what my options are or if this is just a scam. As far as im concerned, at this moment, this is a scam, I tried looking up the company, I could not find it, i never signed anything saying i would pay the doctor and basically as far as im concerned this could be just some random guy who got my information and is now asking for money.

Have you asked for and received a complete itemized accounting for BOTH sets of charges?

sdwinder

Unfortunately I opened my mail box this evening, once I read everything and tried to call my insurance company, my hospital, and this company that wants money from me, everything was closed. I can probably get my itemized bill from the hospital, the first bill i got I believe had the information, but i dont know where the paper is, that was 7 months ago.

The bill i received from the other company however has the following written as a line item

emergency physician serv - 658 dollars
the rest is a garbled mess with dates and account numbers written saying that they charged my blue cross and thats the deductible was 186.02 and 471.18 of the total was not allowed.

justalayman

It is quite possible to have a bills from a dozen different entities when using hospital services. The hospital charges things they control. Then you have the doctor. If you have Xrays, there is often a radiologists charge (separate). Depending on what services you receive, there could be many more such bills issued for various departments and providers.

Check and see if that is the situation.

ecmst12

It is normal and expected to receive one bill from the hospital for the use of its facilities and a separate bill from the doctor who treated you. The ER is always the most expensive place to get treated. Next time make an appointment with your regular doctor. Even an urgent care would be less expensive and a better choice for a non-life threatening condition.

It looks like you owe the physician $186. Hardly worth freaking out over.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It is normal and expected to receive one bill from the hospital for the use of its facilities and a separate bill from the doctor who treated you. The ER is always the most expensive place to get treated. Next time make an appointment with your regular doctor. Even an urgent care would be less expensive and a better choice for a non-life threatening condition.

It looks like you owe the physician $186. Hardly worth freaking out over.
Additionally - I've been in several hospital ER rooms over the past year (it's been a tough year in our family). ALL of them had signs prominently displaying the fact that one may end up with multiple charges...

sdwinder

actually, i dont owe the physican 186, it says i owe the full amount of 600+, if it was 186 i wouldnt be so pissed, 600+ is over half what the ER charged me

ecmst12

Well, if the doctor participates with your insurance, you don't owe the disallowed amount. Check with your insurance company before you write a check.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">