• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Uninsured Visitor unable to pay medical bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bayareauser

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

My mom visited my place from India and she slipped on floor and had wrist bone displaced, we had to take her to emergency hospital. She was not insured the day this accident happened, her insurance kicked in from next day.

1) Bills are large , she cannot pay , she does not have any assets and is just visitor, staying for a month here in US.
2) The Bills are on her name , but at my home address
3) What happens if I just ignore the bills and not. I have paid doc 50% of her fees.

The total fees is around $5000.

I do not think my mom is thinking to visit US any more.

Can she just ignore these medical bills and return to India.

Regards,
Bay Area Resident

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

My mom visited my place from India and she slipped on floor and had wrist bone displaced, we had to take her to emergency hospital. She was not insured the day this accident happened, her insurance kicked in from next day.

1) Bills are large , she cannot pay , she does not have any assets and is just visitor, staying for a month here in US.
2) The Bills are on her name , but at my home address
3) What happens if I just ignore the bills and not. I have paid doc 50% of her fees.

The total fees is around $5000.

I do not think my mom is thinking to visit US any more.

Can she just ignore these medical bills and return to India.

Regards,
Bay Area Resident

The reality is that not paying a bill is no longer a criminal offense* in the US and she won't be prevented from leaving, or indeed prevented from returning in the future.

Sure, the hospital can obtain a civil judgment against her but as she's not a resident and has no assets here she is considered "judgment proof".

Just make sure YOU didn't sign anything saying you would be financially responsible for the bills.

*fraud and other criminal activity notwithstanding

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Most likely she can. And if you didn't sign anything taking responsibility for the bills, you can too.

The taxpayers and other clients of the hospital who will have their bills raised to cover your mother's bills when they are left unpaid thank you. :rolleyes:

bayareauser

Thank you Proserpina and cbg for your response. My mom left US yesterday, she could not bear the cost of medical services and free services from arbor stanford was delayed by more than month. It is sad, but I learnt lesson and wont having any more visitors.

I have received the bills from hospital , AMR response , doc, imaging amounting to $9K. All of them are addressed in her name and her name listed as Guarantor. Only my address, employer name and phone number is on hospital record. I have not signed anything under my name.

Regards,
Bay Area Resident.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
So that's $9000 that the hospital/taxpayers will get to eat.

Thanks so much.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">