• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unneccissary coverage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jennlogan81

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?TX

My husband passed away 11/29/2004. He had health insurance through my job and his health insurance is still being taken out of my checks. It's not like they don't know he's dead, my boss came to the funeral. Are they required to refund that money to me?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That depends.

Do you have any children still being covered on your insurance?

If no, then you should be refunded the difference between single and family/spousal coverage from December on.

If yes, there are a number of possibilities with regards to family coverage, and it depends on which one is in force, whether they are required to lower your premiums after your husband's death. For example, if your plan is a three-tier (employee only, employee plus one, family) and you had family before, you would be owed the difference between family, and employee plus one. However, if it's a two tier plan (employee only, family) then your premiums remain the same regardless of how many dependents you are covering, and you are not due any refund at all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">