• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who owns my x-rays?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

karenelise113

What is the name of your state? California

Who owns my x-rays. The dentist office say they do and that I must pay for a copy of them. Didn't my insurance company already pay for them? My new dentist needs them. Is it the law that a dentist office keep the original x-rays on-site in case of an audit by insurance companies?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Unless California has a law specifically saying otherwise (and you can find out by calling your state insurance commission) it is not illegal for your dentist to charge you for a copy of your records, including your x-rays.

The fact that the insurance company may have paid a claim for the taking of the x-rays does not mean that they, or you, own them.

rmet4nzkx

They can charge you for a copy, but in general, they will send the originals or copies upon request to the new provider without charge. If requested at the time of service they will often provide them at minimal charge,

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">