• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

#1 Marketing Rep. laid off in slow times

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

trisher6262

What is the name of your state?
Colorado

The day before Thanksgiving I was laid off. The real estate market took a bit of a dive. I thought there would be no way in hell I would be one to go! I opened 3 of our 16 offices and started all of our a/b/a sister companies. All in less than 2 years! I worked for this company for almost 2 years! I was the #1, #2 at worse from my 3rd month of employment all the way to the end. In fact the month I was laid off I was the first Marketing Rep. to EVER beat the owner of the company in sales! There were 14-16 Marketing Reps. working at this time, which I had trained most of them. All of this companies staff was new to the industry, thereofore; I was used to actively work ALL sides of the business, taking time away from my sales time, with NO additional compensation! I have 13 years in the industry and most of my co-workers were in the Title Insurance industry 1 month to 1 year, at the very most! The owner 4 years in the industry! I approached the owner on the 1st round of layoffs and told him I felt guilty earining so much, when the company was laying off people due to drop in business. I asked him to take away my car allowance ($400.00 per month) and 50% of my commissions ($5,000 per month) He told me he appreciated the gesture, however legally could not do this! My numbers never did drop during this slow time, however; other reps. had a 20%-70% decrease in their sales. I guess I'm still bitter, confussed, and very angry! I loved my job, and I miss my so called family. It's like going home one day and your family looks at you and says: "We know your a good kid, you try so hard at everything, and do so well, but you can't live here anymore!" :mad: :( :confused:

Shay-Pari'e

trisher6262 said:
What is the name of your state?
Colorado

The day before Thanksgiving I was laid off. The real estate market took a bit of a dive. I thought there would be no way in hell I would be one to go! I opened 3 of our 16 offices and started all of our a/b/a sister companies. All in less than 2 years! I worked for this company for almost 2 years! I was the #1, #2 at worse from my 3rd month of employment all the way to the end. In fact the month I was laid off I was the first Marketing Rep. to EVER beat the owner of the company in sales! There were 14-16 Marketing Reps. working at this time, which I had trained most of them. All of this companies staff was new to the industry, thereofore; I was used to actively work ALL sides of the business, taking time away from my sales time, with NO additional compensation! I have 13 years in the industry and most of my co-workers were in the Title Insurance industry 1 month to 1 year, at the very most! The owner 4 years in the industry! I approached the owner on the 1st round of layoffs and told him I felt guilty earining so much, when the company was laying off people due to drop in business. I asked him to take away my car allowance ($400.00 per month) and 50% of my commissions ($5,000 per month) He told me he appreciated the gesture, however legally could not do this! My numbers never did drop during this slow time, however; other reps. had a 20%-70% decrease in their sales. I guess I'm still bitter, confussed, and very angry! I loved my job, and I miss my so called family. It's like going home one day and your family looks at you and says: "We know your a good kid, you try so hard at everything, and do so well, but you can't live here anymore!" :mad: :( :confused:

This is a legal forum, and I am responding to you because many will find your post long and with no merit of a legal question.

What is your question? Yes they can lay you off,Yes, they can fire you. What does unemployment say?

nextwife

Well, this is NOT a legal answer, but an attempt at a possible explaination. I have over 15 years under my belt in the Title industry.

Could be they analyzed your current account base and decided that the potential retention by them of your accounts was good, either because the customers were "locked in" for the time being because the master policies you brought in still had many take-offs left, or they decided the office had developed a comfortable enough relationship with them that the odds were high they could keep those accounts even in your absence. And, being number 1, you likely were at a higher compensation level and thus were one of the more highly paid reps- thus one of the most expensive. They might have figured they'd reassign your accounts to these less expensive reps and probably continue to get that business- now that the customer was used to working with the company.

Souix

When things like this happen I always like to remember this, "When one door closes, another one opens".....there is always a reason why things happen, perhaps you need to expand your horizons. Good luck to you.***

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">