• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

11 years and fired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NICKIEISIS3

Buffalo NY
I have worked at the same job for 11 years. Then a year ago I came back from maternity leave and I was demoted. They kept my salary the same, but my office was taken away, I couldn't do the scheduling, or discplinary actions and sign pay checks and my title changed. The women that was over my staff became my supervisor. From that point on she became a office tyrant. She would displine myself and staff in front of other staff members or patrons. She didn't care, numerous times I told her to please respect me and my staff. Finally she was yelling at me about a meeting with her door open and asked why I couldn't just have someone else watch my child. And I went to H. R. I reported her. Then a few months later I asked my staff to write up there concerns and I would set up a meeting with our director. Well after the meeting I was written up. They said it was hurtful and inappropriate to my manager. H.R never said I didn't have to sign anything, so I signed. From that point on it only got worst. Staff didn't recieve regular breaks, work hours violations, staff was written up for little things. I began to document as much as I could. She began to call people at home and threaten them with not having work or being condescending to staff parents on the phone. Finally I told my manager I was going to H.R a week later I was terminated. In the ten years before her I was never written up. In the last year I have been written up three times. This women has been reported to H.R several times. Every staff member has a story about her verbal abuse or inappropriate behavior. Still nothing has happend. Do I have a case?

ecmst12

Then the changing of your title and responsibilities could be considered an FMLA violation. Contact your state DOL or the federal DOL for that.

las365

Quoted from your other thread (I put it here to keep your info together, you wil get better help that way)

Buffalo NY

Sorry to have two threads going for the same topic but I can't figure out how to attach to original post. Anyway my maternity discrimnation happend September 6 2008 is it to late to contact the EEOC, will I not have a case because of the timeline? There was also pay discrimnation a few years ago has to much time passed to report that? I would like to say that I started this job when I was 17 years old and now I'm 28 being so young I didn't really know who to report violations to. I went to H. R a few times because I assumed that was what I was supposed to do. Shortly after the maternity problems, I wrote to the labor board. I haven't heard anything since.
Wage claims from 11 years ago are too old to pursue.

Your SOL for an EEOC claim can be calculated from the date you were fired. When was that?

Please seek assistance from an experienced employment law attorney in your area. A retaliation case in which you didn't get fired for a year is generally a tough one. You may have a decent case (or may not) but you will get much further with competent representation than you will on your own.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">