• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A 13 month Salary Contract dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jmoraga

I am an exempt salaried employee of a foreign-owned company in Southern California. When I took the job the employer required the my annual salary be prorated and paid out on a 13-month schedule. 12 monthly payments and the 13th additional month paid at the end-of-year in december. After about a year, I found out that some employees were on traditional annual salary structures, which I was told was not available.

I am being laid off this month and requested the prorated amount of my 13th month salary check at the conclusion of my employment, since my monthly pay was divided up amongst 13 months, I believe I am owed for accrual. They have stated that I would not receive it because it's a bonus, but this is not the case, since we receive bonuses as well at that time, apart from the 13th month salary payment. Do I have legal right to a prorated amount of that 13th month?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">