• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2 Part No Compete Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LP1268

What is the name of your state? NJ
I placed an add in the paper to solicit more contractors and I got many responses from contractors who lost their work when the companies they worked for were terminated. I contracted them for work and now the company they worked for is getting work from another source and they are trying to prevent them from working for me by claiming they signed non compete clauses in their contracts. I know they don't have a legal foot to stand on because they lost the work but I have 2 questions.
1. Can the contractors sue this other company since they are trying to prevent them from getting work?
2. Would I be liable for a lawsuit if I stopped giving them work for no other reason than this bogus non compete agreement?

pattytx

Whether the ex-employer has a leg to stand on or not depends on the wording of the agreement. In regards to whether you could be sued, I figuring not, because you were not a party to the agreement. However, if the agreement is held to be valid, the ex-employee could be sued.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">