• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2 Week Notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

U

ufrh4

What is the name of your state? Florida

I work for a large national employer. I recently gave my two week notice, as prescribed per our company policy manual. Because of the fact that I was going to a competitor, I was asked to leave on the spot. This is a very standard practice, but traditionally, as long as your resignation letter specified your willingness to work out your two weeks, you were paid for those 2 weeks.

However, I am now being informed that they have a new policy that if you turn in your two weeks, you are immediately let go and they will not pay you a dime. Is this legal in Florida?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It is legal in Florida and in all other states, too. No state law and no Federal law requires them to pay you for time you did not work. Nothing in any law requires them to pay you for your notice period if you did not work it, even if they are the ones who asked you to leave.

U

ufrh4

Thanks!

cbg said:
It is legal in Florida and in all other states, too. No state law and no Federal law requires them to pay you for time you did not work. Nothing in any law requires them to pay you for your notice period if you did not work it, even if they are the ones who asked you to leave.
Thanks! I guess in my particular industry (banking) it has always been a standard practice. Ironically, if you were just to give a one day notice, you would not be eligible for re-hire. I'm now eligible, but because of the way I was treated would never be interested.

Beth3

Most employers do appreciate two weeks notice of an employee leaving and do allow the employee to work out that time. However an employee going to work for a competitor is often asked to leave immediately upon resigning.

J

joerockt

Let me ask this because my wife is in a similar situation. She gave her 2 week and was released a few days later. Since then, she has found out that its an "unwritten rule" that they pay out people they let go prior to the end of the notice. So, for reasons unknown, she was an exception.

I already talked to a lawyer and because its only a week and a half worth of pay, it wouldnt be worth it for a lawyer to persue.

So, anyone out there have some different opinions? I was also considering threating the company with legal action to see if they would just pay up. But im not sure if thats considered extortion or not, which I wouldnt want to do.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Unless your wife is prepared to show that she was not paid for her notice when others were BECAUSE OF her race, religion, national origin and so on, it not only would not be worth pursuing, she would not have a case to pursue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">