• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2 Week Notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ABlack

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Based on my other post (where I had recieived a job offer in another state) I had given my two week notice. Now I need to keep that job. I called the head and told him. He stated that it's possible, but he would have to check. They hadn't posted my position, or interivewed anyone. So, my question is can they hold me to my resignation? if they do, can I collect unemployment?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, they can hold you to your resignation. No law in any state requires them to allow you to rescind your resignation. Whether they WILL or not, no one here can say since someone absconded with the crystal ball, but they CAN.

Whether or not you would be eligible for unemployment is something I will leave for our UI expert, Commentator, to say.

Antigone*

Yes, they can hold you to your resignation. No law in any state requires them to allow you to rescind your resignation. Whether they WILL or not, no one here can say since someone absconded with the crystal ball, but they CAN.

Whether or not you would be eligible for unemployment is something I will leave for our UI expert, Commentator, to say.
Last I hear SJ took the crystal ball on vacation. He was going on a cruise and he thought that the little old ladies on the cruise would have a blast with his fortune-telling abilities:D

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I asked SJ about it. He said he thought someone else had it now. But what do I know? :D

commentator

That ball is bouncing all over the place. you may see it again sometime later. I will have to say that this situation described by the OP is one of THE most common things you will see in unemployment. "I thought I had the new job, so I quit the old job, then they told me I was not hired on the new job. Now the old job doesn't want me back."

It depends. It is a real chrystal ball thing. But until you have actually signed something, filled out paperwork, based on my life experiences, I would never tell you to burn your bridges, hire your moving company, cancel your lease. I"ve seen this happen SO many times.

It sounds to me like you might as well go move to Florida anyhow now, since you 've made all the prep for doing so. The next job in Florida may be the one you get. If your employer says no, you cant come back, and you do get approved for benefits, you can transfer your claim to Florida easily.

First of all, filing for unemployment may determine if your old employer is going to state yes or no, whether they can take you back. File for your unemployment benefits, and explain the situation. They will contact the old employer to verify the reason you left. This may worry the old employer enough to galvanize them into hiring you back, since you are already trained and they do not have a replacement set up yet. It will be from their employer tax account wages that you will be drawing benefits if you are to be approved, so perhaps this will be added incentive for them.

This is a maybe. It might be approved. You can show them, bring in the documentation where you cancelled your lease, anything you filled out for the new job that appears to be an acceptance, explain how there was nothing on your record that you felt would stop the hiring process. You are out of work "through no fault of your own," sort of. You did jump the gun just a tiny tad, no written acceptance, but you were certainly given a verbal assurance. File it, you certainly have nothing to lose.

ecmst12

Please don't start a new thread for every question. Keep all questions about the same situation in ONE thread.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">