• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2 weeks notice?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nozid

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Michigan

I recently gave my manager a curtesy 2 weeks notice. He promptly removed me from the project I was on and took away my computer so I would not have access to sensitive information. I understand his security concerns and am ok with that.

The problem is that he says since I am not able to be productive without the computer, he could not keep me on the payroll for the full 2 weeks. He also said company policy does not allow me to take any of my remaining vacation, nor do they pay me for it when I leave.

Is he allowed to get rid of me sooner? If he terminates me without cause earlier than my resignation date he would be required to pay the severence according to company policy, right?

Thanks

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, he can ask you to leave immediately. The LAW does not require that he pay you for your notice period OR to provide you with severance pay. Since I haven't read your company policy on severance I can't say whether you are due it under company policy or not, but you were not terminated; your resignation was accepted immediately.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">