• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2 Weeks Notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kaylabella1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut

if you give your employer 2 weeks notice, but they dont want you to stay that long due to security reasons, are you entitled to the pay?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
With the single exception of exempt employees in the state of New Hampshire, no employee in any state is legally entitled to pay beyond the last day they actually worked, whether they gave additional notice or not, unless a legally binding contract or CBA expressly says otherwise.

Many employers will voluntarily pay out an unworked notice period. I have never worked for a company that did not. But it is not required by law except as noted.

Beth3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut

if you give your employer 2 weeks notice, but they dont want you to stay that long due to security reasons, are you entitled to the pay?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
As the others have stated, you are not entitled to be paid for the unworked notice period. You may qualify for unemployment benefits however.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In some states, if an employee resigns WITH notice, and the notice is not honored but released immediately, the employee is eligible for UI for the notice period (though not beyond).

Beth3

Zigner, in these particular circumstances some States DO allow UC benefits for the period of time between the last day actually worked and the date the employee notified the employer what their last day would be. Mine, for instance. :)

csi7

And in some states, a person giving two week notice, is also eligible for unemployment benefits for beyond the two week period. Depends on the official reason for the resignation.

commentator

Right, Zigner. You're deep into "charging world" here. I spent much time there, and it's not a pretty place! But it's correct, in some states you can resign and be approved with a penalty for having quit (and a non-charge to the employer's account.) Other, less claimant friendly states require a good work related cause as determined by decision for someone who voluntarily quits a job. Or resigns. Whatever they call it.

But notice is a courtesy, it is not a requirement, nor is it required that the employer let you work until you are ready to leave. They sometimes think you might take out your frustrations or import company secrets once you know you're going.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">