• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

To the "3 Ladies of HR"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

panzertanker

What is the name of your state?FL

My wife is a salaried employee for a hospital, M-F, 40hr/wk.
She is required to work an occasional Saturday. The hospital gives her a day off during the week (8 hours) the week preceeding her Saturday shift (12 hours).
Question: Is that right? It is draining her (happens every other week) and she already puts in 50+ hours during her normal week (she is a social worker and has to find placements for the patients).
Thanks!

pattytx

One of the HR Ladies is on her honeymoon!

Are you asking if this is fair, or if it is legal, or are you asking about paying her properly?

panzertanker

pattytx said:
One of the HR Ladies is on her honeymoon!

Are you asking if this is fair, or if it is legal, or are you asking about paying her properly?
I know it is not fair, and unfortunately "fair" doesn't mean squat in the real world...

We were both wondering if it was legal. The pay is not really the issue either. It would just seem that an equal amount of time off is the legal thing here. Are we correct?
Thanks.

pattytx

It is not illegal for the employer to require whatever hours they want to or are feel is necessary from a given employee to the exclusion of other employees. If your wife is covered under a CBA (union contract), there may be some overtime call requirements there where she might have a grievance case. However, short of that, she's basically SOL.

Beth3

One of the HR Ladies is on her honeymoon! Unfortunately, it's not me. :D

Yes, it's legal. And it even sounds fair. They do give her a day off during the week when she works on Saturday, which they aren't obligated to do. Given that she works for a hospital who obviously have patients every day of the week, it's not surprising that weekend work is necessary.

panzertanker

Beth3 said:
One of the HR Ladies is on her honeymoon! Unfortunately, it's not me. :D

Yes, it's legal. And it even sounds fair. They do give her a day off during the week when she works on Saturday, which they aren't obligated to do. Given that she works for a hospital who obviously have patients every day of the week, it's not surprising that weekend work is necessary.
Yes, she knew that she might have to work weekends. It just sucks to know you have only 8 hours during the week and 12 on a saturday without equal time off. Thanks for the replies!

S

seniorjudge

panzertanker said:
Who said she was allowed to go get married???
:)
Did SJ officiate?
I tried to but they kicked me out of the honeymoon suite! :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">