• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

3 Step Disciplinary Process

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cplmckenzie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Pennsylvania

My son was recently terminated from his job. He was employed under a Union - Company bargaining agreement.

Let me mention that he was employed in this job for 2 years, during his first year he received an injury to his hand on the job.

He was terminated due to repeated "late for work" events.

He was first given a verbal warning. His next step was a five day suspension at which time he was terminated.

He was told by his union he did not have the union support in this matter.

I may be wrong, but my understanding is that under standard agreement disciplinary policy that it is normally a 3 step process.

1. Verbal Warning

2. Written Warning

3. Suspension possibly termination

Could someone help me in my understanding of this.

cplmckenzie

davew128

If his union isn't supporting him, then that should tell you all you need to know about why he was terminated, why the union isn't supporting him, and why your understanding is incorrect.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Pennsylvania

My son was recently terminated from his job. He was employed under a Union - Company bargaining agreement.

Let me mention that he was employed in this job for 2 years, during his first year he received an injury to his hand on the job.

He was terminated due to repeated "late for work" events.

He was first given a verbal warning. His next step was a five day suspension at which time he was terminated.

He was told by his union he did not have the union support in this matter.

I may be wrong, but my understanding is that under standard agreement disciplinary policy that it is normally a 3 step process.

1. Verbal Warning

2. Written Warning

3. Suspension possibly termination

Could someone help me in my understanding of this.

cplmckenzie
This is your son's matter. Cut the apron strings and let him deal with it.

cplmckenzie

Thank you for your insights. Although yes it is my son. This picture is larger in that it could happen any employee of any company. I would appreciate any other input on this matter.

cplmckenzie

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thank you for your insights. Although yes it is my son. This picture is larger in that it could happen any employee of any company. I would appreciate any other input on this matter.

cplmckenzie
When it happens to said any employee, please ask said any employee to log on for him or her self.

Just Blue

cplmckenzie
sigh...

As one Mother to another...Tell your son to deal with his own issues.
My Daughter has been doing so since she was 17 years old, and she has done very well. Children do much better when allowed to be adults. ;):)

eerelations

Not all CBAs are the same, nor are they legally required to be the same. Just because one CBA has a three-step disciplinary process doesn't mean they all do. The law has nothing to say about disciplinary processes, which means non-union employees are not entitled to them unless granted by their employers, at said employers' discretion.

I have managed more than a dozen CBAs and their disciplinary process varied from no steps to five steps.

Just curious, why has your son refused to show you his CBA?

Last edited:

cplmckenzie

Thank you for the reply. He didn't refuse. I did not ask him as to my understanding, or lack of it as for as disciplinary processes, BEFORE I chose to get involved in my son's business.

I am just making inquires as to how this process "usually" goes.

cplmckenzie

Just Blue

Thank you for the reply. He didn't refuse. I did not ask him as to my understanding, or lack of it as for as disciplinary processes, BEFORE I chose to get involved in my son's business.

cplmckenzie
One should not ask about another adults legal issues on the net. Not good. :)

cplmckenzie

Thank you and I am afraid that I must apologize, as I thought this was a forum for inquiries on matter of the law. I did not realize that 1 inquiry would garner so much parenting advice.

cplmckenzie

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is no law anywhere in the US that requires a 3 step disciplinary process. It is entirely up to the employer.

If the union is satisfied, so is the law.

Just Blue

Thank you and I am afraid that I must apologize, as I thought this was a forum for inquiries on matter of the law. I did not realize that 1 inquiry would garner so much parenting advice.

cplmckenzie
When a parent decides to post for their adult child then "parenting advice" is part of the free advice. :)

eerelations

cplmckenzie
So you got all fired up about what's happening to your son without knowing what his CBA says about disciplinary processes? Amazing...if I was concerned about whether or not someone was being treated in accordance with their union's disciplinary process, the first thing I would have done would have been to ask to see the CBA. I assumed that you would have taken this reasonable step, and that because you didn't know what his union's disciplinary process, that your son had refused to show you said CBA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">