• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

30 Mn meal breaks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

EchoeB42

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

I have read that the employer must provide a 30 mn meal break but, does the Employeee have to take it? Is there a law that says it is Mandatory or required for the employee to take the break?
I work on average a 4-6 hour day.
Thanx!

JETX

"I have read that the employer must provide a 30 mn meal break but, does the Employeee have to take it? Is there a law that says it is Mandatory or required for the employee to take the break?
I work on average a 4-6 hour day."
*** If you work less than 8 hour day, an employer in MN is NOT required to provide you with a meal break.

MN stautes:
"177.254 Mandatory meal break.
Subdivision 1. Meal break. An employer must permit each employee who is working for eight or more consecutive hours sufficient time to eat a meal.

Subd. 2. Payment not required. Nothing in this section requires the employer to pay the employee during the meal break."
Source: http://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/stats/177/254.html

E

EchoeB42

No one seems to understand my question..yes we would be off the clock but, what im asking is do we have to take it? is it mandatory for us to take it? we dont want to because with such a short work day it helps us add an extra 30 mns on our day and helps us get the job done faster. (housekeepers in a hotel)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If the employer says that you have to take it, then you have to take it, regardless of whether the law says you have to take it or not. So it's a moot point.

Yes, the employer can force you to take a break.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">