• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Was 40hrs a week, now 0 hours

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kah911

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I was regularly working 40 hours a week, which according to my employee handbook is considered full time. Now my boss is saying "I have no work for you, go home" when I clearly have plenty of work to do. He's trying to get me to quit instead of firing me so I can't collect unemployment.

Is this legal? Can I quit and still collect unemplyment?

Beth3

I was regularly working 40 hours a week, which according to my employee handbook is considered full time. Now my boss is saying "I have no work for you, go home" when I clearly have plenty of work to do. He's trying to get me to quit instead of firing me so I can't collect unemployment. No, he's not. The moment he said "go home, I have no work for you," you became eligible for unemployment benefits.

Yes, this is legal.

Why quit? If the situation changes, they'll presumably call you back to work. What's the downside of that??? File a claim for unemployment benfits and start looking for a new job. If you accept a position and your former employer contacts you to return to work, then you should inform them you are working elsewhere.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">