• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

45 hour work week

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bostondan2000

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

The company that I work for, an LLC "consulting firm" which has always worked a 40 hour work week has told it's employees both professional and non professional that they must work a 45 hour work week. They stated that other consulting firms such as ours work in excess of 45 hours and to stay competitive we must work 45 hours per week. They told us that if we can't meet this obligation it will be a problem. Is this legal? Do they need to rehire us in order to make this legal? Thanks.

pattytx

Unless there is some arcane law in Massachusetts, which I seriously doubt, the employer can require any hours it deems necessary, whether the employees are exempt or nonexempt. Of course, the nonexempt employees must be paid overtime pay for hours in excess of 40 in a workweek. And they do not need to "rehire" you to make this legal as it is not illegal to start with.

If you refuse to work the required hours, they can let you go.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Patty is correct. No law in Massachusetts makes it illegal to require a 45 hour week. Or a 50 hour week, or a 70 hour week. What they propose is perfectly legal; there is no need to rehire you; you can be fired for refusing.

All that is required is that non-exempt employees be paid OT for any hours worked over 40 in a week.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">