• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

60-day notice period for termination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tmoriarty

What is the name of your state?I am employed in the state of Massachusetts and I need to understand whether or not a provision in the employment letter I signed when I was initally hired has legally binding force. The letter states that "[employer] will provide [me] with a sixty day written notice should [they] decide to terminate [my] employment . . . and [they]will require a similar notice period from [me] should decide to leave." Then goes on to state that "[my]employment will be 'at will.' This means that either [employer] or may terminate [my]employment at any time and for any reason."

Am I obligated to give 60 days notice? What new employer would make me an offer of employment and them defer the start of the job for 60 days?

Last edited:

justalayman

If you are an "at will" employee then I presume you do not have an employment contract. You referred to this as an "employment letter". If it is not a contract then there would be no enforceable stipulations within. Even if it is a contract it seems to contradict itself. Without the entire text available it would seem that you're safe leaving anytime.

Does it give any repercussions should proper notification not be given? Curious as to what punishment they would attempt to apply. Could be a moot point even if it were a contract.

tmoriarty

The punishment

I've been told that in similar situations, the original employer's legal staff has contacted the person's new employer with notice the the employee has violated his notice provisions and that the new employer dropped the employee like a hot potatoe.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">