• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Absentee Policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hrt2hrt

My employer says that by law in Ohio he can have a different absentee policy for every department in the company. i work for a small trucking company with about 60 employees total. there are three girls in the accounting department and the rest are men. he says that if for example, someone in the dispatch area misses four days in a row they will not get a write up , but if i were to miss four days then i could possibly receive a write up because my job is more complicated for someone to fill in for me. is this fair business practice? what can i do about it besides quitting? can i scream discrimination of some kind, since our department is all women? i hardly think this idea is fair and i would like to know what i can do about it before he inforces it. thank you so much.

L

loku

For starters, your employer’s explanation about a stricter absentee policy for your job because it is more complicated for someone to fill in for you would amount to a valid reason for having different policies. That would make it a little more difficult for you to prove sexual discrimination. However, if your department is the only one that is all women and if it is also the only department with the stricter absentee policy, you may have a good chance to prove it.

The US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission enforces federal law prohibiting sexual discrimination in employment. To find out about filing a charge with them, and to file the charge itself, go to: http://www.eeoc.gov/facts/howtofil.html.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">