• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abusive Boss

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MorriganMacRuith

I have a friend who is currently working for my former employer. I quit because he is extremely abusive. And she is now faced with this. He is the owner of this company, he throws temper tantrums, micromanage and berates people daily. Everyone is afraid of him and does not want to sue, because he is just so nasty he will take anyone to court and lose money himself just to be a stinker. Which I've seen many times. Did I mention that when hired, you must sign a one year contract. You can be fired at any time, he has let people go for "not being a right fit" or "termination your position" and then he will create the same position but get someone in for less pay.

If you want to leave, are unhappy or just plain stressed out, and you're contract isn't up. He takes you to court and sues for $30,000.

How is this legal? He does this constantly and is in litigation continually. But it is just another one of his scare tactics. Also, if he didn't frighten people into staying for at least a year. The company would be empty.

Is there anything that can be done?

L

loku

Constructive termination

Your remedy depends on what state you are in. Most states recognize "constructive termination" of employment and treat it similarly to an actual firing.

An employee in a state that recognizes constructive wrongful termination does not have to be fired in order to have the ability to sue an employer for intolerable working conditions. If an employee can prove that an employer created intolerable working conditions in an effort to get the employee to quit, and these conditions were known by the employer, or intentionally created by the employer, then the employee may pursue a constructive wrongful termination action.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">