• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abusive owner/Boss

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tiredofit

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?New York

I work for an independant owner of a national franchise. I have been at this place of employment for a little over one year. i was hired as the Remodeling Manager to establish the remodeling division. The other portion is a restoration and mitigation service company. Since I have been there the owner has hired and fired at least forty people, both in the administration and in the operations end of all the businesses. He is extremely abusive in language and actions when addressing most people. He has been using me to jump from position to position and given me very little time to work on the remodeling business. I was hired as a salaried employee and have now been told that I was a commissioned employee. My pay has now been reduced because he says my commissions are not meeting standard. I have never been trained to be a commissioned employee. I have told him on many occassions that I need to be trained so that I will know what is expected of me and how to handle a complete claim. I have never even been shown or walked through a complete claim from A to Z. He is now threatening to suspend me for a week without pay if I do not complete a three page list of claims. Some of these claims I have never even been involved with and are not even assigned to me.
My questions are this;

1.Can he cut my pay when my understanding of my position is a salaried position?

2.Can he just appoint me to a commissioned position when I have never signed the commissioned contract?

3.I know I need to leave but I am working on finding another position before I just leave. I would like to give my two weeks notice, but in the past he has just bullied other managers to just leave so that he doesn't have to pay unemployement.

Sorry this is long but I am TIRED OF IT.undefined

HomeGuru

tiredofit said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?New York

I work for an independant owner of a national franchise. I have been at this place of employment for a little over one year. i was hired as the Remodeling Manager to establish the remodeling division. The other portion is a restoration and mitigation service company. Since I have been there the owner has hired and fired at least forty people, both in the administration and in the operations end of all the businesses. He is extremely abusive in language and actions when addressing most people. He has been using me to jump from position to position and given me very little time to work on the remodeling business. I was hired as a salaried employee and have now been told that I was a commissioned employee. My pay has now been reduced because he says my commissions are not meeting standard. I have never been trained to be a commissioned employee. I have told him on many occassions that I need to be trained so that I will know what is expected of me and how to handle a complete claim. I have never even been shown or walked through a complete claim from A to Z. He is now threatening to suspend me for a week without pay if I do not complete a three page list of claims. Some of these claims I have never even been involved with and are not even assigned to me.
My questions are this;

1.Can he cut my pay when my understanding of my position is a salaried position?

2.Can he just appoint me to a commissioned position when I have never signed the commissioned contract?

3.I know I need to leave but I am working on finding another position before I just leave. I would like to give my two weeks notice, but in the past he has just bullied other managers to just leave so that he doesn't have to pay unemployement.

Sorry this is long but I am TIRED OF IT.undefined
**A: yes and yes to 1 and 2. 3 is not a ?

tiredofit

Thanks for the answeres, but I am still confused as to why or how can he just appoint when the original job was not commissioned?

pattytx

He can because there is no law prohibiting him from doing it. Unless you had a valid, enforceable employment contract which set out the terms of your position and compensation, which would then be a breach of contract, not a violation of employment law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">