• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accepted Job Offer but I got a better deal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

than_wu

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
========================================
I have accepted a job offer from 'company A' and I have about 3 weeks to start. The day I accepted the offer, I got a call from the direct competitor and he wants me to interview with him. This new job seems like a better deal and more pay. I'm pretty sure I will get this job.

I haven't told this competitor that I've already accepted an offer from company A because I want to just go the interview to get experience. But if I get the job I really want to take it.

If I get this job from the competitor can I still back out of the paperwork I signed with 'company A'?

Note: I've only signed the following:
- Digitally accepted an offer letter
- hand signed company code, ethics, background check,
benefits forms, etc.
- fixed a start date

The position is clearly stated as "at will"!

Can I still back out without any legal implications?

cyjeff

You should not suffer any legal ramifications.

You will, however, be burning a bridge. Just know that going in.

Beth3

If I get this job from the competitor can I still back out of the paperwork I signed with 'company A'?

Yes. You're free to change your mind about accepting their offer.

Hot Topic

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
========================================
I have accepted a job offer from 'company A' and I have about 3 weeks to start. The day I accepted the offer, I got a call from the direct competitor and he wants me to interview with him. This new job seems like a better deal and more pay. I'm pretty sure I will get this job.

I haven't told this competitor that I've already accepted an offer from company A because I want to just go the interview to get experience. But if I get the job I really want to take it.

Note: I've only signed the following:
- Digitally accepted an offer letter
- hand signed company code, ethics, background check,
benefits forms, etc.
- fixed a start date

The position is clearly stated as "at will"!

Can I still back out without any legal implications?

You're "pretty sure" you're going to get the job with the competitor? Well, at least you're not boasting that you have it in the bag. Oh wait a minute. You want to go on the interview anyway just to gain experience. For what?

commentator

I cannot tell you how many times taking unemployment claims we hear that the person quit the old job, was "pretty sure" or "very sure" or totally sure they were going to the next one, and it didn't work out.

You're closing off a sure thing for a maybe here. That's a big decision.Legal, but remember, you are closing a door, fixing it so that the employer will not be interested in you at a later date.

Your integrity is in question, as far as the first employer is concerned. I'd consider telling them, Hey, I got a better offer at xyz. Would you like to match it? before I jumped out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">