• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accepted Offer of Employment Withdrawn by Employer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

littlehorn969

What is the name of your state? NY

Please help me. I am currently a foreign student who was offered employment by an engineering consulting firm in NYC. During the interview I have told them (two partners) EVERYTHING including my visa status; the fact the I have one year to work here legally and that afterwards I need to be sponsored for an H-1B. Two days later the partner called me up and offered me the position. I have signed the offer of employment letter and stated that I can start in July and gave it back to them. I have already declined two job interviews from other employers to comply with ethical hiring procedures. I have been constantly giving them updates on when I am going to receive my work permit (which is just in a few weeks from now) and have suggested if they would consider to sponsor me for an H-1B since the USCIS (INS) is accepting applications now. And then last Friday I have received a short letter from the partner saying my "...visa status is becoming too much of a complication. Due to commitments in place at this time XXX will not be able to sponsor you for H-1B status. Consequently, we must regretfully withdraw our offer of employment." Now I'm stuck with no job opportunities and my plans with school have been affected. Do I have a say this? Can they lawfully do this to me with the fact that they know about my visa status? Can I claim for Breach of Contract?

Thank you for your advice.

M

Meursault

Simple answer is because an offer for employment is not a contract there is no breech of contract.

Beth3

Agreed. Additionally, the employer was not obligated to wait around for your work permit to come through, nor to sponsor you for an H-1B visa. Even if you weren't waiting for work authorization, it wouldn't have been unlawful for the employer to change their minds about employing you.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Meursault said:
Simple answer is because an offer for employment is not a contract there is no breech of contract.

My response:

I disagree.

A contract had, in fact, been entered into by the parties. Our writer said, "Two days later the partner called me up and offered me the position. I have signed the offer of employment letter and stated that I can start in July and gave it back to them."

That's a contract. The employer breached that contract.

Our writer has a good cause of action for a lawsuit, to include "Breach of Contract", "Detrimental Reliance", and "Damages".

IAAL

Beth3

While I hate to offer a dissenting opinion IAAL, offers of employment don't usually meet the criteria of a contact and if they were smart in composing it, the agreement also includes the usual "this does not constitute a guarantee of employment" disclaimer. The odds of the offer constituting a contract are low but the writer is free to show it to an attorney of course.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Beth3 said:
While I hate to offer a dissenting opinion IAAL, offers of employment don't usually meet the criteria of a contact and if they were smart in composing it, the agreement also includes the usual "this does not constitute a guarantee of employment" disclaimer. The odds of the offer constituting a contract are low but the writer is free to show it to an attorney of course.

My response:

We don't know what, if anything, was written into the offer that was signed. Our writer never wrote the offer here for review.

So, in the absence of a "limitation" such as you wrote, my response stands.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">