• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accepted two jobs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tigerlane

What is the name of your state? South Carolina

I am a recent college graduate and have already accepted an offer from Company 1. I have not started the job but have received a higher job offer from Company 2. I signed documents with Company 1 that included an associate agreement complete with salary and start date. I also signed a form that stated that Company 1 was an at-will corporation and the employer or employee could terminate employment at any time. I would like to accept the offer from Company 2 but want to make sure that there is no legal recourse that can be taken against me by Company 2. Is there any action that I can expect from Company 1 and if so what might that be?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, you are free to accept the offer from Company 2 and Company 1 will not be able to take any legal recourse. In an at-will state, you get to end the employment relationship any time you want to.

Beth3

Yup. You're free to contact Company 1 and inform them you've received a more attractive offer and therefore will be declining the position they offered. If they reguarly recruit soon-to-be or recent college grads, they're used to this kind of thing. That's just the way it goes.

FYI - if they make you a counter offer, don't make your decision on the basis of who's offering the most money but rather who's offering the best career opportunity. If you make the decision based on the money, you'll very likely find it was the wrong decision.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">