• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accrued Paid Time Off

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

punybaby

MassachusettsWhat is the name of your state?Massachusetts

If an employee begins to accrue paid time off after months of service, gives their 2 week notice and the Company chooses to let them go before that 2 weeks and the day they let them go is on the exact date of their 3 month anniversary..... do they have to pay them for their accrued paid time???

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Is there supposed to be another word in the first sentence? If so, please edit your post to include it because I have a feeling the answer to your question hinges on the missing word.

seniorjudge

punybaby said:
MassachusettsWhat is the name of your state?Massachusetts

If an employee begins to accrue paid time off after [puny what's the word?] months of service, gives their 2 week notice and the Company chooses to let them go before that 2 weeks and the day they let them go is on the exact date of their 3 month anniversary..... do they have to pay them for their accrued paid time???
cbg...did I get it right?

CarrieT

seniorjudge said:
cbg...did I get it right?
Im thinking the missing word is 'Three'... as what the OP is asking (I think) would make sense if so.

<<If an employee begins to accrue paid time off after [3] months of service, gives their 2 week notice and the Company chooses to let them go before that 2 weeks and the day they let them go is on the exact date of their 3 month anniversary..... do they have to pay them for their accrued paid time??? >>

Thus, if it accrues after 3 months, and they let him go ON the 3 month anniversary, is the accrued time legally required to be paid out. Especially as they terminated him prior to the completion of his 2 week notice, whereas were he permitted to finish the 2 weeks out, it would have put him over the 3 month mark thus completing his probationary period to be eligible for the accrued time.

Carrie

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If the missing word is three, as I suspect and Carrie claims, then if the employee was let go on the three month anniversary he would NOT be entitled to any PTO time since he would as yet not have accrued any.

And no, there would be nothing whatsoever illegal about this practice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">