• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accused of accusing of sexual harrassment..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cjf

What is the name of your state? California

Someone in the office said I told them that the boss was sexually harassing me. This person has never done that to me in any way shape or form but it resulted in me being terminated.

What can I do about this?

Thanks for all the responses. Here is the whole story:

I was called into the office by the broker and the office manager not knowing why I was being called in for. Upon entering, the broker angrily shouted at me and ask me in any way shape or form has he ever crossed the line with me. Feeling very confused and replied "No", and then I asked why he was asking me this.

He told me that one of agents told him that I told her that he was sexually harassing me. He has NEVER crossed the line with me in the 2 1/2 yrs I was employed there. I became very upset and started crying confused on why someone would say I said this. He then whipped out "coaching" papers listing all of my job duties and stating I was doing everyone of them incorrectly. Mind you I have been doing the same thing and routine for a long period of time. There were 3 job duties that I have taken on along with these current job duties and are not in my job description but he didn't cap on me for these.
I believe the reason he presented me with coaching papers is to make it look like he had to "add" something to the "false accusation of sexual harrassment" claims.

I excused myself from the meeting because I was clearly hysterical at this point. The next day I presented them with a letter and response to my coaching papers and false accusations. That following Tuesday my boss calls me back into the office and starts apologizing to me. He said they were sorry about everything that has happened and that a "rumor" got out of hand. He continued to tell me that they want their "old" receptionist back and how bad he felt that this has happened. I accepted the apology but was still on guard because of the tension in the air from him, the manager, office administrative assistand and now the top agent socially maligning me.

That Friday they called me back into the office and fired me. I now believe there is something being covered up and the real reason that I was let go was not revealed. Even after the apology and everthing I now believe I have been deceived into thinking everything was ok. Of course I understand that California is an at-will employment state but it seems as if I had been fired for no reason at all.

I hope this helps telling you the whole story for those who have responded. Your feedback is important to me on what I should or can do about it.

Last edited:

pattytx

Legally, nothing. It may or may not have been unfair, since you have given us no details, but it is not illegal.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Hold on, Patty, I'm not quite sure about that on this one.

If I'm following this right, someone said that our poster complained of SH by the boss. Whether s/he actually did complain or not, it is illegal to fire someone because they complained of SH.

Poster, we need more details before we can be certain of what to tell you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">