• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accused of stealing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

grv16mk

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
I started working for this lady who is deals jewelry (mostly costume) and have for a few months. We have been working on her inventory (Which she had neglected since January) so she could file a police report of a theft which happened before I started.My father in law (also my pastor) received a call from her saying I stole $1000 dollars in gems and jewelry and that she was going to sue us and our church. I received a call from the local sheriff saying she claimed I stole over $2000 in diamonds and jewelry. I am a 21 year old without any legal problems and this is over my head. I have 2 children and struggling to pay bills and really worried. I didnt steal anything but she kinda goes crazy with her meds (chantix) and I dont know what to do!

:mad:

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
I started working for this lady who is deals jewelry (mostly costume) and have for a few months. We have been working on her inventory (Which she had neglected since January) so she could file a police report of a theft which happened before I started.My father in law (also my pastor) received a call from her saying I stole $1000 dollars in gems and jewelry and that she was going to sue us and our church. I received a call from the local sheriff saying she claimed I stole over $2000 in diamonds and jewelry. I am a 21 year old without any legal problems and this is over my head. I have 2 children and struggling to pay bills and really worried. I didnt steal anything but she kinda goes crazy with her meds (chantix) and I dont know what to do!

:mad:
If you were not acting as an agent of the church, she has no claim against the church. With regards to the claim against you, don't speak to the police without an attorney present.

One last comment - unless you are a physician and qualified to assess this woman's mental status - don't.

quincy

Fairly certain one doesn't need to be a physician to recognize irrational behavior.
One doesn't need to be a physician to recognize irrational behavior in another, but one can be sued for defamation by this person if one isn't careful what one says to others about this behavior.

davew128

One doesn't need to be a physician to recognize irrational behavior in another, but one can be sued for defamation by this person if one isn't careful what one says to others about this behavior.
My response would be "Bring it on". Seriously.

commentator

File for unemployment.
It is almost a certainly that this person she was working for was not a covered employer (required to pay in unemployment insurance taxes)and there would be no unemployment claim, as private domestic type workers are usually not covered employees. Usually there is a minimum number of employees (about three) that the employer has to have. Also, it has to be a regular tax and payroll employment, not just an odd job and I give you so much money (under the table.)

That said, regardless of where and how long, the person would have to have had covered wages during the last 18 months or so from some covered employer and have left that job through no fault of her own.

Agree with everyone else about one thing, though. If there's no reason you are in any way worried she can do it legitimately, tell her to do her worst. It's interesting that she said she was going to sue you, and your father in law's church. Did you get the job through the church in any way?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">