• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accused of stealing money and suspended from work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MsHoward

California

For one month I had worked as a cashier at a truck stop. I decided that I didn't like the work or the hours and that I would return to temping as an office clerk. I called my manager on March 6 and told her that I wanted to leave the cashiering in a week to begin a new job. She said that one week notice was better than nothing. I asked if I needed to sign any sort of document, and she said no.
I work the night shift, so that night I worked until 6am. At the end of my shift on March 7, I did my paper work recounting all of the transactions i had done during my shift. When I printed my computer generated report, it said that I was short $537.38. I thought I had made a mistake and recalculated my figures, but there was still a large difference between the money I should have had in my drawer and the money I actually had. After searching all of my documents for discrepencies, I was told by the bookkeeper to wait until my manager arrived, and that they might have to call the sherrif's dept. since the missing amount was over 200 dollars.
A couple hours later, my manager arrived and she had me go through all of my receipts again. Nothing turned up, and she called the sherrif's deptartment. The officer arrived and took my name, address and telephone number. He asked me what the problem was, and being as tired and hungry as I was, I wasn't able to give as thorough description as I had hoped. He said that I wasn't under arrest and that we were merely having a conversation. He searched my pockets, my purse and my car along with another officer who arrived later. My manager was present for all of this. After the searches, we returned to my manager's office and she gave her side of the story, which was that the report generated by the computer was showing that $537.38 was missing from my register. I really had no idea what could have happened to the money, and there wasn't much that I could say in my defense. The officer had told me several times that if I were to return the money then he was sure my manager would be lenient. I kept insisting that I hadn't taken the money. The officer said that he would continue his investigation, and after I left he would review something else with my manager that employees don't know about. I'm assuming he meant the surviellance tapes. He suggested that I would be arrested if it was found that I had stolen the money, and that if I came back on the premises I would be searched to see if I had hidden something in the store and was trying to take it away. My manager added that I was suspended from work without pay. After that, I left and went home. It has been two days and no one has contacted me concerning this matter.

I want to know if I was wrongfully terminated, and also I would like some sort of compensation for the money I lost for not working this week.

I also do not know how I am to recieve my check for the current pay period. I would have gotten it today but I'm not allowed on the truckstop property.

I'm also concerned of the effect this ordeal will have on my future ability to find a job, and if I will have a criminal record.

I considered calling the police department and asking but I am not sure which actions to take. Thank you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, you were not wrongfully terminated. The employer is permitted to fire you if he believes you stole the money, even if he is wrong. A wrongful termination means that a specific law exists which prohibits the employer from firing you for the reason they did. It does not mean you were fired for something you did not do.

You may file for unemployment. But no one owes you compensation for the lost week of wages.

If you do not receive your final paycheck when it is due (perhaps your employer will mail it) you can file a complaint with the state DOL.

MsHoward

Would there be any consequence for my employer if it is found that I was suspended when I did not steal the money? Thanks for your reply.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No. Your employer violated no laws. They are not a court of law and are not required to have proof before they can suspend or terminate someone.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">