• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accused of Taking Company Data

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

spidurs

What is the name of your state? Virginia

Recently left one financial firm for another. I have started to contact former customers and contacts by phone and mail. Received a faxed letter from attorney's representing my former employer yesterday, stating that they belived I had unlawfully taken information from the firm and to return all information and to cease using it. Only info I have is contact info for former customers and contacts that I garnered over 8+ years. I did not have a non-compete agreement. I have contacted my attorney to contat theirs by phone. Is this just a scare tactic from my former employer? Something that should be taken more seriously?

Beth3

"Is this just a scare tactic from my former employer?" Quite possibly.

"Something that should be taken more seriously?" Nobody here can say. It is possible to be sued if they believe you have specifically targeted their business and caused them economic harm.

On the whole, calling your former employer's clients and trying to get them to make a move isn't a cool move, especially if done shortly after you leave. You might want to lay off, at least for a while. If nothing else, you may be damaging your reputation in your industry, although I don't know if what you're doing is commonplace in your line of work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">