• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accused of theft & fired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JoMissy

I worked retail. When we have to void a sale, a manager must come to the register & indicate they are aware of the void. The register does not stop you from going on to the next sale if the manager fails to do this properly. I had a 264. void, manager came to the register, I was talking to the next customer & assumed he had done the void. Evidently, he didn't. Now I have been terminated as they are saying I may have stole the $264 & did not request the void. The manager says he can't remember. Anyway, when I was called in for this (a week later), they questioned me regarding my personal expenses, i.e. how much is my car, insurance, daycare, etc. & how do I pay it? Have I come in to any large sums of money lately? How much is in my checking account, etc.? I have no money as my checks all go to pay my bills & I really don't think any of this was any of their business but I answered, trying to keep my job & make them know I did not steal anything. Question, do I have any legal recourse? Did they have the right to ask me those questions? Where do I go from here to clear my name?
I am in the state of Texas.

crager34

No

They can ask you anything they want. The question is do you have to answer it? NO. If your terminated and are not trying to get the job back, don't worry about it. Also, they can't give you a bad referrence by law, only a neutral one, but that is not good sometimes. If they are pursuing action and you want to avoid that, then cooperate, or not. They have the burden of proof.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">