• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accusedof theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Katerina754

What is the name of your state? PENNSYLVANIA

I am emplyed by a University Hospital - in a Physician office as a Office Coordinator - Iwas called to our HR dept today and told we were meeting to discuss some instances of money that was not accounted for - which turned out to be I was being investigated for missing funds which were in my control. Iwas given 6 instances were they felt I mishandled patient co-pays - the total was approx $80 - $100 in so called mishandled funds. They showed me receipt copies I had hand written out from a receipt book for example $20 and only $10 was posted as paid in the computer. I explained that sometimes patients pay copay upfront and upon checkout the copay populated in their system differs from that they gaveme in and in that case I would return monies to the patient - and at times payments are collected by persons other than myself and posted by me as I may have been in a meeting or stepped away from my desk. In these instances - a rceiept was issued by me and the amts posted differed from the receipt - it has always been my practice that when a pt gave me $ (cash) and I was not checking them out I gave them a handwritten receipt as when theycheck out I would give them the computer generated reciept as often the copay for services in this specialty office differ from that which appears ontheir cards and from what is computer generated in their system- These intances took place from Jan 05 to July 05 there were 5 in all with the same circumstances - important to note is that monies are not always in my control as other staff have access as my "batches - encounter froms with payments attached" are at my checkout area and oftentimes I am called away from my desk to help in back - get a chart etc and these items stay next to my pc...where anyone could have accessed them. The called the patients involved who told them they did not recall getting a refund.

ANyway - at the conclusion of this "meeting" as it was called that I would be suspended without pay pending further investigation. They told me it "shouldnt take longer a week."

Needless to say I am going to utilize this time off to start seeking new employemnt as "when" they do come back and say "our bad" I couldnt possibly work there knowing I have no trust or support from upper management.

My question is can they fire me if they cannot prove these monies were in my sole possession 100% of the time?
Can they keep this investigation in my permanent file? Can they tell perspective employers about this? DO I have to disclose that info to a perspective employer?

I'm not the expert on this, but there have been numerous posts from HR managers, etc, that maintain that an employer can fire one, anytime, for any reason unless a contract says otherwise, as well as tell a potential employer anything they want so long as it is truthful and does not contain personal info such as medical.

One way to get around this when applying for jobs is to list another supervisor or HR under the "contact" area who will positively vouch for you, but dont lie on the application about who your supervisor was. Certainly you will have to say things are going wrong at your current employer, but perhaps you won't have to elaborate too much. If you do, don't speak negatively, just be factual, it doesn't look good to someone considering to be your future boss!

Katerina754

Im even more worried now. . .

After reading through back posts onthe subject and PA is an at will state - I feel sure now that they probably will just fire me - because they can. Now the question turns into if I do get fired - do I pursue the matter and face the possibility of this becomming public - this is a very small town - and risking not getting re-employed for the sake of proving my innocence - or just leave quietly. Then theres a matter of 401k savings. I am a vested employee can they take this vested status from me? (Im thinking I'll need that $ to buy benefits and to hold me over) This really is a nightmare because if for some very possible reason they file charges with the police - worst case scenario -I could lose my nursing license pending or not pending a court ordeal. Icannot imagine this happening over less that $100.00 notlike stealing that would raise me into a whole new income bracket and especially not over a period of 7 months...I feel sick.

Katerina754

Anyone have any thoughts?

Okay - over the initial shock from yesterday and now Im just pissed. AFter viewing many many hours of info here - I am preparing for the worst - termination - whether fair or not - its a large university owned hospital/corporation and if suspicion is enough to terminate someone - Im sure that is exactly what they will do. I am trying to contact an Atty that specializes in employemnt law which is hard because it this is a rural area with the closest major city 100 miles away.

I have questions about the following: I am vested in my 401k - can they take their share from me?

Unemployemnt - okay this one would seem a no brainer but - if they cannot PROVE I did something wrong then I shouldnt be denied benefits should I?

I have the opportunity to get a job this week- PRIOR to the outcome of my present employers investigation - What should I tell them if they ask why I want to leave? I was thinking something along the lines of - I am interested in leaving the medical aspect of business support/management?

Sockeye

Katerina754 said:
Okay - over the initial shock from yesterday and now Im just pissed. AFter viewing many many hours of info here - I am preparing for the worst - termination - whether fair or not - its a large university owned hospital/corporation and if suspicion is enough to terminate someone - Im sure that is exactly what they will do. I am trying to contact an Atty that specializes in employemnt law which is hard because it this is a rural area with the closest major city 100 miles away.

I have questions about the following: I am vested in my 401k - can they take their share from me?

Unemployemnt - okay this one would seem a no brainer but - if they cannot PROVE I did something wrong then I shouldnt be denied benefits should I?

I have the opportunity to get a job this week- PRIOR to the outcome of my present employers investigation - What should I tell them if they ask why I want to leave? I was thinking something along the lines of - I am interested in leaving the medical aspect of business support/management?
The only thing an atty may provide you good informtion for is your 401-k, there is nothing that violates the law in your termination so there is nothing for an atty to pursue.

If they can't prove that you stolen the funds then I'd be very surprised if they didn't honor your vested contributions, any funds that you added you will be fully owed no matter what the reason for termination.

UI insurance is an unknown, but be sure to apply. If you were in WA State I could safely bet you'd get it, but states do differ.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Anything that YOU put into the 401k cannot be withheld from you; anything that THEY put in depends on the plan document.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">