• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Acd

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ACD MAN

I am from New York.

About 5 years ago, when I was a young stupid kid, I was involved in an incident where I left a bar and broke a store window. I was given an ACD ( in New York). So I paid restitution and after 6 months, all charges were dismissed and my case was sealed. I am now trying to get a city job (police and fire fighter) in the same city where this incident occured. I understand that under an ACD, I have never been convicted of anything, but my question is... What am I legally obligated to say when they ask if I have been arrested?

I dont know how serious they will look at this offense... but my dilema is ..do I disclose all the info and hope that they dont think its grounds for denial of the job, or do I not disclose the info and hope that the files are actualy sealed as they say?

Im leaning to the honesty side as I dont think the offense is that big of a deal. But is such a minor instance grounds for denial of a law enforcement job?

If anyone has had a similar experience or knowledge of this type of thing, can you please help me out with this..

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Beth3

I can't comment on the specific recruiting requirements of law enforcement agencies but I can tell you that (a) honesty is always the best policy, and (b) if all candidates who had a youthful indiscretion were ruled out of consideration, there would be very few people working in law enforcement.

Good luck.

seniorjudge

ACD MAN said:
I am from New York.

About 5 years ago, when I was a young stupid kid, I was involved in an incident where I left a bar and broke a store window. I was given an ACD ( in New York). So I paid restitution and after 6 months, all charges were dismissed and my case was sealed. I am now trying to get a city job (police and fire fighter) in the same city where this incident occured. I understand that under an ACD, I have never been convicted of anything, but my question is... What am I legally obligated to say when they ask if I have been arrested?

I dont know how serious they will look at this offense... but my dilema is ..do I disclose all the info and hope that they dont think its grounds for denial of the job, or do I not disclose the info and hope that the files are actualy sealed as they say?

Im leaning to the honesty side as I dont think the offense is that big of a deal. But is such a minor instance grounds for denial of a law enforcement job?

If anyone has had a similar experience or knowledge of this type of thing, can you please help me out with this..

Thanks in advance.

Q: What am I legally obligated to say when they ask if I have been arrested?

A: "Yes and here are the details...."

ACD MAN

Thanks!! but one more question..

I live in New York.

Thanks again for such fast responses!!

I have one more question, by law, can any employer (public or private) deny you a job based on an arrest without a conviction? Specifically, can an employer NOT hire me because of my ACD?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">