• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ada

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

asterisk

A friend of mine has a child with disabilities she sometimes has to leave work when he has a seizure a school,her supervisor is threatining termination does my friend have any rights as a paren under the ADA.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Well, the ADA actually applies to the employee, not children or family of. It serves to protect individuals with disabilities in the workplace. If a person can perform his or job, despite the disability, this law prohibits employers from discriminating against them or treating them unfairly or improperly.

You might need to deal with the Family Medical Leave Act, but you would need to speak with an employment labor law attorney in your state to see if this law would apply and what its limitations are.

Below are the some exercepts from the freeadvice.com employment law section.

The Family Medical Leave Act - 29 USC & sect; 2601, 2611-2619, 2651-2654

Requires employers to grant employees up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave (within a 12 month period) for a) the birth of a child, b) the adoption of a child, c) a serious health condition that requires a leave of absence, or d) the care of a parent, spouse or child with a serious health condition

Americans with Disabilities Act - 42 USC & sect; 12101-12118

Prohibits discrimination based on physical or mental disability. This law applies to public sector employers, and private sector employers with more than 15 employees. Some states have laws that are more stringent.

*** Note: the ADA interprets "disability" to include Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS). An employer cannot fire, or refuse to hire, a qualified employee because s/he has AIDS. Testing positive for HIV, the virus that causes AIDS, is generally considered as having a disability as well, so persons who are HIV positive are protected by the ADA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">