• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ADA Issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

vryfdup2

On October 8th I was let go from my job. I had written my employer a letter telling him to leave me alone because he was harrassing me about my work(which was perfect). I was then let go and when I filled for unemployment benefits, i was denied, my employer said I was insubordinate. i was at the time and still am on medicine for depression and anxiety. this medicine often made me irritable and crazy. I tried several kinds and still have not found a combination that helps me. my employer knew I was having trouble, yet he chose to antagonize me anyway. According to the ADA, mental illness is a disability even if you are on medicine to control it. Under the ADA, can my employer fire me, even if it was the medicines fault? I have proof that I was being treated by a doctor and my friends and family can testify that to be angry is not my nature. Please let me know as I am having an unemployment compensation hearing soon and would like some ammo to take with me. Thanks!!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Did you at any time ask for an ADA accomodation? If so, what was your employer's response?

The ADA is not a guarantee of employment for life. Under certain circumstances, yes, you can be fired. I need more information in your case to determine if there has been a potential violation or not.

V

vryfdup2

ADA Accomadation

yes, I did tell him that I was suffering from mental problems, mostly resulting from my open heart surgery in 1999. i was suffering from post traumatic stress accompanied by depression and anxiety. i told him i might need to rearrange my schedule to fit my many doctors appointments and also because my concentration level was down, i also asked if i could take work home because i didn't want to be at the office. He chose not to accomadate me in any way, he said i had to work at a certain time for eight hours straight and i would have to work my appointments around that schedule. he was a new boss that just came in. my old boss let me do what i needed to get by. i was crying all the time and i was having feelings of rage and extreme anger. after i was fired in oct. i later found out in dec that it was my prozac that was effecting me so badly and i was switched to zoloft. my employer picked at my work incessantly knowing that i was already irritated and edgy. he said he understood what being depressed was all about since his mother had the same condition, however he didn't show me that he understood. i am not asking for a handout, i just want to have justice served. he pushed me beyond the limit knowing full well that i would explode and then he could get rid of me and replace me with his stepdaughter. tell me what you think, i welcome any suggestions. thank you for being so kind and answering my question.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">