• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ada..reasonable accomodation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

clueless1177

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC. I have a bowel issue that I had to take FMLA for a year ago. Recently at work I was late comming off break due to being in the bathroom dealing with some sort of flare up? I guess but my coworker reported me and I was investigated then fired. In hindsight I should have told them I may need an accommodation but heck I didn't even know. But my question is since they granted me FMLA and you can't get it unless you have some sort of serious health issue they knew it was for me personally do you think they could have used it against me to fire me? :/ meaning do you see it as obvious that I may need accomadation even though I didn't think I would? I'm a good worker just had a bad bowel situation.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC. I have a bowel issue that I had to take FMLA for a year ago. Recently at work I was late comming off break due to being in the bathroom dealing with some sort of flare up? I guess but my coworker reported me and I was investigated then fired. In hindsight I should have told them I may need an accommodation but heck I didn't even know. But my question is since they granted me FMLA and you can't get it unless you have some sort of serious health issue they knew it was for me personally do you think they could have used it against me to fire me? :/ meaning do you see it as obvious that I may need accomadation even though I didn't think I would? I'm a good worker just had a bad bowel situation.

Unfortunately if you needed ADA accommodations you had to have requested them.

Without that, they can't possibly know why you were in there.

It seems a bit odd though that you were late from break one time and that directly caused your employment to be terminated.

Had you had excessive warnings before? Anything?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
FMLA and the ADA are two different laws, with two different purposes, and two different criteria. It is possible to be eligible for one without being eligible for the other. In fact, I would venture to say that at least as many people, if not more, are eligible for one without being eligible for the other.

Because they both relate to health conditions, they on occasion overlap. But it is far from true that if you qualify for FMLA, your employer automatically needs to apply the ADA as well.

commentator

Did you file for unemployment insurance? If they fired you for one event, without warnings or prior problems, particularly since you claim it was health related, you'd probably qualify for that (providing you were monetarily eligible. But unemployment insurance, ADA, and FMLA are three unrelated programs. You do not really have to have a major serious awful illness or medical issue to qualify for FMLA, just that you had FMLA does not indicate it was a severe condition. just that it was something that your doctor says you need to be away from work for, and you've been on the job long enough, and they have enough employees.

For ADA accommodation, you would need to have requested an accommodation for a medical reason with documentation. It sounds as though this was not a regular on going issue that you'd been having a lot of problems with, so that you would've needed to have accommodation made for you. It was sort of a "flare up," as you put it.

If they hadn't terminated you, you might have been wise to go through the process of requesting an accommodation but now it's a little too late. They are an "at will" employer in an "at will" state, and they have the legal right to fire you for anything at any time. Unemployment insurance is your only recourse from the sound of this.
###########################################################

Okay, having read your other post, I gather that you were sort of foolish that you didn't tell the employer the nature of your illness, that you did have a major health situation when you were on FMLA before, and that you didn't ask for ADA accommodations.

REGARDLESS of what else you do regarding your termination, file for unemployment benefits immediately. Your employer is trying to get rid of you. The HR person who told you "there are some things that only take one occurance" to be a reason to fire you is full of it! She's going for claiming, to keep you from drawing unemployment benefits, that this was "gross misconduct," in other words, something so bad that you should not have done it and knew it was wrong to do it even once.

Going in the bathroom and deliberately stopping up all the commodes might have been that. Having such bowel problems that you had to be late coming back from break is not. And the employer does not get to decide whether it is or not, that is the responsibility of the unemployment system. They'll gather all the facts.

If it later turns out that you might have a case where FMLA was violated, you were terminated in violation of any federal labor law, whatever, you STILL need to file for unemployment benefits now. You'll need something to live on until you find another job and you'll be a long time processing any other labor issues that might be involved here. Unemployment, ADA, FMLA, EEOC, all these things do not intermingle, do not share information with each other and are separate entitites.

When you are fired for any reason, first you file for unemployment, then you work on the other issues.

Answer cbg's questions please.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm also going to mention here that not only are the criteria different, the responsibilities are different. For FMLA, it is up to the employer to notify you that you may be eligible for FMLA. However, for the ADA, with very, very limited exceptions which do not apply here, it is up to you to notify the employer that you may need an accommodation. They are NOT legally obligated to guess whether you need one or not, or to ask you if you do. If you need accommodation, it is up to you to ask for one; multiple courts have agreed that the employer has no liability to accommodate a disability that they have not been notified of. Not all or even most FMLA-defined "serious health conditions" are ADA-defined disabilities. And vice versa.

clueless1177

Did you file for unemployment insurance? If they fired you for one event, without warnings or prior problems, particularly since you claim it was health related, you'd probably qualify for that (providing you were monetarily eligible. But unemployment insurance, ADA, and FMLA are three unrelated programs. You do not really have to have a major serious awful illness or medical issue to qualify for FMLA, just that you had FMLA does not indicate it was a severe condition. just that it was something that your doctor says you need to be away from work for, and you've been on the job long enough, and they have enough employees.

For ADA accommodation, you would need to have requested an accommodation for a medical reason with documentation. It sounds as though this was not a regular on going issue that you'd been having a lot of problems with, so that you would've needed to have accommodation made for you. It was sort of a "flare up," as you put it.

If they hadn't terminated you, you might have been wise to go through the process of requesting an accommodation but now it's a little too late. They are an "at will" employer in an "at will" state, and they have the legal right to fire you for anything at any time. Unemployment insurance is your only recourse from the sound of this.
###########################################################

Okay, having read your other post, I gather that you were sort of foolish that you didn't tell the employer the nature of your illness, that you did have a major health situation when you were on FMLA before, and that you didn't ask for ADA accommodations.

REGARDLESS of what else you do regarding your termination, file for unemployment benefits immediately. Your employer is trying to get rid of you. The HR person who told you "there are some things that only take one occurance" to be a reason to fire you is full of it! She's going for claiming, to keep you from drawing unemployment benefits, that this was "gross misconduct," in other words, something so bad that you should not have done it and knew it was wrong to do it even once.

Going in the bathroom and deliberately stopping up all the commodes might have been that. Having such bowel problems that you had to be late coming back from break is not. And the employer does not get to decide whether it is or not, that is the responsibility of the unemployment system. They'll gather all the facts.

If it later turns out that you might have a case where FMLA was violated, you were terminated in violation of any federal labor law, whatever, you STILL need to file for unemployment benefits now. You'll need something to live on until you find another job and you'll be a long time processing any other labor issues that might be involved here. Unemployment, ADA, FMLA, EEOC, all these things do not intermingle, do not share information with each other and are separate entitites.

When you are fired for any reason, first you file for unemployment, then you work on the other issues.

Answer cbg's questions please.
Yes I did file. Thank you for your generous reply

clueless1177

I'm also going to mention here that not only are the criteria different, the responsibilities are different. For FMLA, it is up to the employer to notify you that you may be eligible for FMLA. However, for the ADA, with very, very limited exceptions which do not apply here, it is up to you to notify the employer that you may need an accommodation. They are NOT legally obligated to guess whether you need one or not, or to ask you if you do. If you need accommodation, it is up to you to ask for one; multiple courts have agreed that the employer has no liability to accommodate a disability that they have not been notified of. Not all or even most FMLA-defined "serious health conditions" are ADA-defined disabilities. And vice versa.
OK thank you so much. I failed to alert them I may need ADA so I have to deal with the consequence. I know better now

clueless1177

I get that they were within their right to fire me but how can I tell that they weren't just getting rid of me for using FMLA in the past? I did hear that they frown upon it

Proserpina

I get that they were within their right to fire me but how can I tell that they weren't just getting rid of me for using FMLA in the past? I did hear that they frown upon it

There is nothing stopping your employer from terminating your employment, as long as they pay attention to the law.

From what you've said you were not fired for taking FMLA in the past.

Proserpina

Yes that's true but how do I know this wasn't excessive punishment?

Again they can punish you (short of torture) however they deem fit. There is no law defining "excessive punishment" and they don't even have to give you a reason.

(And again, this is presuming that there isn't a Title VII issue)

clueless1177

Again they can punish you (short of torture) however they deem fit. There is no law defining "excessive punishment" and they don't even have to give you a reason.

(And again, this is presuming that there isn't a Title VII issue)
So much red tape just to keep a job gosh! They did give a reason they said it was failure to be at my post. I have to look up title 7. I don't know law terms but don't they have to be fair is all I'm saying. Its not like I failed to be there because I was getting high or something.

clueless1177

I don't know what you all are or do but I bet you all are some of the most job secure people. And I bet your work environment is intelligent and fair. I envy you all.

Proserpina

I don't know what you all are or do but I bet you all are some of the most job secure people. And I bet your work environment is intelligent and fair. I envy you all.

No honey, you see I'm a once-widowed disabled person with no source of income of my own (no, I cannot get SSI or SSDI - I'll explain if I have to).

Sooo...don't assume. You know what they say, right?

(Then again if you count volunteering from my at-home desk, I suppose I do have it pretty good. Great family, great zoo, and if it wasn't for that whole pesky "will we won't we" transplant issue I'd be set)

(But that's not what you meant, is it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">